Why no Europe?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KM6XP, Apr 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am only 6 months into Ham radio and I know it’s not the best time for HF, but I seem to be able to consistently hit Argentina and other South America countries and Japan a few times. Why not Europe or the UK? Just bad timing? I run a pretty basic station, IC 7300 into a End fed wire in an inverted V that is pretty low, 6’ to 22’ to 10’. I know, it’s a compromised setup but was just courious why no Europe. Now I did hear II9P out of Sicily, Italy on 14.260.20 MHz but he did not hear me then he was gone a few minutes later.

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI Xavier,

IT'S THE OLD STORY,
    LOCATION, LOCATION,
    LOCATION IS EVERYTHING.
    YOU HAVE TO MOVE HERE
    TO THE BOSTON AREA.
    NO ...NO....... ONLY KIDDING.

IT'S THE PRESENT BAND CONDITIONS.
    THAT IS CAUSING YOUR PROBLEMS.

I AM HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU
    DID HEAR II9P..... BRAVO......
    THAT'S WHERE MY TRIBE HAILS FROM.

THE PRESENT BAND CONDITIONS MIGHT
    DICTATE MORE TIME ON THE RADIO AND
    ALSO TRYING OUT ALL THE BANDS TO
    SCORE THAT EUROPEAN QSO.

BE PATIENT, BEFORE YOU KNOW IT
    YOU WILL BE SOARING WITH THE
    DX EAGLES.

73 - K1LKP

K9ASE likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep trying!
    As an example...even JAs are tough contacts from here these days. Sort of the equivalent of W6>EU. On the best days I may catch an opening for 30 minutes or so.
    Its possible but we ain't in 2024 yet when it may become just another routine contact for you or me.

4. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I figured it was the conditions. I will keep trying, love the contests, it’s a so cool to have all the activity on the bands.
    In between contests, it’s soooooo slow, lol.

I will also be happy when my vanity call is approved, people seem to have a hard time with my current call suffix on challenging hard to make out QSOs. I think KM6XP will be much easier.

K9ASE and N8SAN like this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely conditions: some of the worst I've ever seen. Don't feel bad: we're all pretty much in the same boat.

Here on the west coast we can work JA and the other Asian / Pacific stations. Lately, nothing. I will say this though: contests will bring out the big stations that are easier to work.

For example: I got into the shack this morning at about 0600 local. scanned thru 80 & 40 meters: Nothing. I was tuned up for eighty, so I went back there and waited. So, just at local sunrise or a bit after the JA's started coming in. Not too many, just a few but the ones that we normally hear during a contest. Then, out of the hash, a Philippine station!

Worked the JA's and the DU7. they were in there for the better part of an hour, then nothing. That Extra class license will come in handy for DX'ing. Most all of the DX on 80 is between 3700 & 3800 KHz. Allocations there vary a lot. Most of the CW DX is well below 3550 KHz. Piles of FT8 DX on 3573 KHz.

Same goes for most of the bands: all or almost all of the really juicy DX is heard in the Extra class segments. Less competition too.

Congrats on your recent upgrade! Hope that you have fun with your new privileges!

W7UUU and KM6XP like this.
  6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been having pretty good success with Europe and Africa on 30 meter CW and FT8 in the late afternoons Central time. Though I have worked some pacific on in the morning, including Australia on 160 one day, I have not had great success in that direction. South America seems pretty good a lot of the time.

Location has a lot to do with it. Where you work on the bands and what modes you use have a lot to do with it too. :)

7. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They won't talk to you until you get your NEW CALL!! (Good luck with that, Xavier!)
    Also, if you can try a 20 meter dipole, it might make a difference. Hang it anywhere just temporarily and give it a shot.

VE3CGA likes this.
  8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my experience, poor conditions reveal larger differences between good and compromise antennas, while in good conditions those differences in antenna performance seem smaller. So my advice is put up the very best antennas you can afford and have space for, for each band you want to operate.

That said, location and time of day can make a big difference. These days I have no trouble working Europe on 160 meters, 80 meters, 40 meters, 30 meters, and 20 meters, depending on time of day. Typically, on 20 meters in the mornings I work Europe. Mid-day I work South America. Late afternoon I work Asia. If I were on the west coast the pattern might be different. Evenings to Europe 160-80-40 meters work well from here.

Poor conditions? Bah. We just need to adapt and overcome.

W4IOA and K7GQ like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If CW is in your skill set, it’s much easier to work DX with low power and marginal antennas.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try 20m in the morning, between sunrise and maybe 9 AM.

The east coast stations can work them easier as they're closer and it's one or often two less "bounces" off the ionosphere, so signals will be stronger there. EU is a "lower angle" shot from the west coast. A low inverted vee may not do very well for this; however a good vertical might!

KM6XP likes this.