ad: M2Ant-1

Why I need a HF Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Facebook? Huh! Like it says on the sticker, "I'm good on QRZ!" We're all mad here! :D

W2AI likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

A well crafted ham station has a good antenna and needs only 100w (or less)
    A restricted station uses power to overcome a crappy antenna.

Here in the south, 80M is noisy in the summer with lightning and weather. Often the noise is S9 to 10 over. If you want to talk, the answer is a signal better than the noise. A good antenna may not be enough.

W4WTS likes this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5U:

I sincerely disagree with your "well crafted" comment. 100-watts "may be" adequate for many operators. However, with higher power, the band generally "opens" some time before and "closes" some time after when compared with the lower powered stations.

I do agree that one should get the best antenna system possible before going to higher power. Then, going higher in power is definitely an option.

Glen, K9STH

WB5WPA likes this.
  4. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="K9STH, post: 5073937, member: 195296
    Aone should get the best antenna system possible before going to higher power. Then, going higher in power is definitely an option.

Glen, K9STH
    [/QUOTE]

Then after that get a big multi-element Cubical Quad or a maybe a stack of The big Step IR.
    Of course you can always continue to go bigger with a huge Sterba Curtain!
    I can just imagine not only opening and closing the band , but making your own propagation at will!

WZ7U likes this.
  5. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

If ya lived in an old gas station you could do this -- gas stn antenna.jpg
    Mike N3PM

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm. QRP just doesn't cut it. Change to 100 Watts... still not enough power... go to 1500 watts, the legal limit... there are STILL stations that don't hear me. Switch to...??? When does it end? YMMV.

7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yup, I'm good on QRZ--for life!! :D

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

SHHHHHH.....only a hobby. Antenna is everything in radio communications.

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

antenna is everything, yes, but is often constrained by space, finances, HOA, or wife. Built the best antenna that YOU can and then add power. That's what i did.

WD4IGX, W4WTS and W2AI like this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Each $1.00 spent on antenna improvement often costs at least $5-$10.00 in amp co$t. But there IS a limit to antennas. There is also a limit to (legal) power, although SOME hams don't seem to abide by the rules, and run well in excess of the legal limit.:(:mad:

W2AI and WF4W like this.