ad: KF7PMW-1

Why I need a HF Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

10K worth of pill outputs??? MRF type Devices is what they refer to as pills correct?
    It never ceases to amaze me just what lengths some of these guys will go for some of the most absurd things?!?!?!
    Somehow. I don't doubt that this is an embellishment or a stretch of the imagination. I have recently have found that such power on unauthorized services is quite more commonplace than I ever suspected.
    I have no idea why we havent heard any stories of catastrophe or or wholesale major mayhem of unprecedented level, spewing from such operations?
    Consider ourselves fortunate that this operation occupies at higher frequency and small segment of bandwidth! Hopefully they will stay there and stew in their own RF, rather than they sign up for a Ham callsign.

Obviously, "we" (the general ham radio community as a whole} already have enough difficulty agreeing on what these days is considered proper courteous, respectful and exemplary operator conduct.
    The self policing aspect of our hobby has been lost, bent or perverted.
    It used to be that it pretty much represented itself through example and a certain peer pressure to operate as a higher standard of excellence in every way and every day!
    Hams traditionally have been given greater amounts of freedom and leeway to conduct themselves in a generally accepted and common sense sort of way.
    Much of this responsibility due to the higher standard of conduct and greater degree of integrity practiced within the worldwide amateur radio community .

The fact that this topic has carried on for so many posts or is an issue, is an interesting glimpse of the great diversity that has occurred over the times in operator beliefs and styles of operation.
    The US FCC rulemaking on this subject clearly was written at a time when the expectation considered the amateur radio community possessed a greater degree of common sense.
    Such a general rulemaking while may be considered vague with its wording wasnt expected to be challenged or interpreted. It relied upon the general wisdom and responsibility of the individual amateur operator to exercise a greater degree of proper judgement on the application and operation of their stations.
    Hams radio probably has historically had the greatest universal latitude to carry on most freely with its activities and to represent itself internationally more so than probably any other licensed or regulated service worldwide.
    We have a huge responsibility to be in the "know" without question or challenge of right vs wrong. Operate with the utmost of class dignity and courtesy. Do what you should already in your heart know is right! Use ONLY WATT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT! Watt-ever is rightfully. minimum amount of power is needed to effectively communicate. Should be pretty simple, why the debate? Do we have so little remaining conscience that we are clueless between right and wrong within our community?
    Come on guys? I cant believe how many lames and lids within the community continue to question or challenge what traditionally was understood as common sense.
    DOH! I really need to get a good rant going sometime!!! Meanwhile let me explain it to those of you unsure......

If the recieving station reports he has QRN with S7 static crashes and you are only at an S8? Certainly makes sense to increase your power and make it more comfortable and enjoyable for the recieving station. If you are "only" say about an S9 and the band is reasonably decent, you dont need to further increase your power unless the other station reports otherwise that he still is having difficulty hearing you?
    If you receive a S9 report it should be considered that you are adequately being heard. Get over your short man syndrome! If your ego has you seeking 20 over S9 reports just to feel accomplished, you probably are suffering a character flaw of some sort. My best advice is fake it and pretend to not have such defect and act like you are more confident than you actually feel.
    Instead of S-meter reports why dont we PROPERLY give HONEST Readability & Strength reports? For you newer hams it is RST = readability , strength and tone. The tone part is regarding the tone of a continuous wave , like how narrow, steady, solid and free from clicks or spikes etc..... (the quality of tone on a morse code transmission) Phone signals dont use a tone report but it is often still called RST.
    RST is really what all this 5-9 business on the air is all about and it has nothing really to do with a proper s-meter report and is really wholly subjective to the listeners own perspective. Shouldnt effective communication really rely on the perception of the actual person to whom you wish to exchange thoughts and ideas?
    Readability is a scale of perception from 1 thru 5. Strength is a perceived scale of 1-9 and it has little to do with your actual S-meter . For tone similarly 1-9 (most of you newbies out there need not concern yourselves with the tone portion of the report).
    Such system allows for the sender to gauge how well the other station can not only hear him but how Effectively he is being Understood! Not so much how many decibels loud a station is being heard!
    Apparently. there are plenty of very loud stations operation in excess of 10kW on some other childish band and nobody can comprehend or understand a distorted thing they are saying!
    Maybe in the past there was a certain elitism to ham radio? I have heard it said that Ham Radio is the hobby of Kings. It certainly used to be the hobby where a pauper could speak with a king. It would make no difference what your social status or where in the world you lived. Radio was a great medium and equalizer. It mattered not what you were. Everyone was equal. I think a great part of that formula is because everyone conducted themselves with an understood higher level of class and etiquette and poise.
    MAY WE CONTINUE A TRADITION OF PRACTICING A HIGHER STANDARD OF CLASS WITHIN OUR HAM COMMUNITY REGARDLESS OF AN INDIVIDUAL'S CLASS OUTSIDE OF OUR COMMUNITY!
    I shall have to post a further rant on this someday in the near future!

KI4AX and WZ7U like this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, that's it, and then ludicrously overcharge.

I have a friend who has worked in construction all his life that does a lot of home upgrade and repair work for me, but he's kept busy so I get stuff done when and as he can. (He hired a relative of his who is a licensed electrician to do the wiring.) He tells a story about working for a contractor back in the pre-2008 crash building boom here. He was in charge of a a crew building houses, and at the end of the first day they had the foundation poured and some other stuff related to the first floor done that could be done at the time - it's pretty much gibberish to me so I don't recall the details - and the owner of the operation building out a subdivision came by and asked why he had only part of the first floor done and the house across the street, by a different crew, had three levels framed in. My friend took him aside and pointed to the other house and asked him to look at the floor line relative to the horizon and asked, "does that house look level to you?" and the guy admitted that, "well, no, it isn't." "Now look at mine...do you want it done fast or do you want it done right?" The guy actually said, "I want it done FAST!"

My friend finished the one house and quit. He wasn't going to work like that.

KI4AX and NL7W like this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not clueless.
    I am awake.
    My statement stands. You will not find a 10 amp circuit breaker in a residential panel.
    I did residential & commercial electrical work for a living. Licensed as a Journeyman for 5 years & a Master for 9 years.
    I do know what I am talking about.

Ed

4. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

The obsolete fuses were here.

I had them, and that obsolete fuse box and obsolete fuses are removed now.

I had to bring a federal program inspection, Housing Choice, into it.

I am a senior citizen and I could.

..nothing else was persuasive, not the building code or NEC.

This is real.

YOU ARE CLUELESS about cheating: if you do not cheat, good for you. However, it is a disservice to radio amateurs to think it is "all good" elsewhere ..and they can "amp up" in their situation.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure what being a senior citizen has to do with the context of the thread, except it giving leverage to get the inspection you are referring to. Is it a MT thing or do you feel it's national?

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, I am not clueless. I have seen horrible electrical work.
    Again, you will NOT see a 10 amp breaker in a residential panel.
    I would love to see the "Obsolete" fuses you had. They would be regular Edison based, or "S" type, both screw in.
    THe "S" type are still for purchase at most places & I am sure that you can get the older ones.
    I have worked quite a bit of old knob & tube homes & buildings. There are no older wiring systems in the USA. I still repaired "Fuse panels" that were wood, with porcelain fuse holders screwed to it.

Good day.

Ed

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS is QRZ! :p
    29 PAGES WORTH!

AG5CK likes this.
  8. W7CJD

I had a $1,399 apartment in San Francisco, the blueprints had been signed off by a friend who discovering the fraud had a stroke and died. (He had high blood pressure.)

They cheated on construction of the handicapped units, he signed off, and cheated on the earthquake retrofit so the building could not be used as a site for the Fire Department earthquake contingency plan: pre-1989 earthquake.

San Francisco, CA.

I am handicapped, and that wasn't enough to get it in court in San Francisco. Instead, I was given every reason to believe I was a protected witness (SF DOJ) because I had been on that building council, and offered a $10,000 bribe.

I can give other examples of building inspector fraud and bribes.

The building inspector in the next county told me he would have to condemn most of the houses here.

I had him look at a house, referred by a licensed realtor.

I told the realtor, the building inspector said it is a teardown. I suggested the realtor sell it as a corner lot at a good location.

..well, this is two examples.

Now that I am a senior, I brought in Housing Choice to help with the rental. There are no rentals in the five counties served, I was shown, that meet the federal standard.

This small house is the nearest thing to the standard here.

I have also lived and worked in NYC, Michigan, Oregon, and Washington State.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. W7CJD

..you are living in a delusion, and you are calling me a liar.

It is wrong for radio amateurs to think they can operate "big amps" HF in any house or apartment.

They would be better off using an RV or literally build their "ham shack" to code.

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The wild, wonderful, mad, mad world of QRZ.com Ham Radio Discussions Forum Can't get this on Facebook!!:D

WG7X likes this.