ad: chuckmartin

Why I need a HF Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gre
    Hunter Bandit 2000? That is a brute of an amp.

2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I purchased the last 8877 tube that Machlett posted on E-bay for $940. Placed it in the AL-1500; works fine, no complaints.

3. W4WTS

W4WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes....a Hunter Bandit 2000c.....pretty good looking amp too....Have you owned one?

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but the Hunter is known to be better built than Heath SB-220. No tuned input good for WARC bands too and transceiver antenna tuner makes good input match.

5. W4WTS

That's correct....it appears to be quite well built, and, like with the Hammarlund, I use my transceiver antenna tuner in front of the amp, and an MFJ 998 between the amp and the antenna.....I suspect the Hammarlund HXL-1 will become a backup amp.....as the Hunter should be in the range of 1200 to 13oo watts.......more or less, and near legal limit....and at 26 cents a watt, a very cost efficient amp....provided of course, I get some use out of it before having to change tubes...also appears to be a very repairable amp......Not much to be found on the internet about them.....a few articles, but not many.

Still, 100 watts on 20 meters has worked fairly well for me the past few days.....but one has to have more patience as it sure takes longer to bust through a pile up......really, it's the lower bands that benefit the most from an amp IMO. 80 meters was noisy last night.....about an S9.....and that's when being 20 to 40 over is a good thing.

6. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

41DD0927-6DB0-44D3-A0CA-0BD422AE9843.jpeg

Clueless!

Rentals and older houses are violations of "The Electrical Code" and newer homes, from what I have seen under construction.

I guess you never heard of paying a bribe for a credential?

I rented a house.

The service box and inside breaker box no longer has fuses of that type sold.

Replaced, the state inspector put his sticker on it, insisting he has no obligation to look at the wiring inside the house.

I said, it is a two-wire house, cloth covered solid copper.

There is no ground.

..not his problem.

He explained, the owner didn't ask me to look at that.

True, or not, the house is a firetrap.

The fire retardant on the loose insulation does not last, and the wiring is in the attic down to the outlets: four outlets in the house: four.

I did get one 20 Amp three-wire outlet installed inside and one covered outlet, near the outside service box, for the car in winter.

In the kitchen, I use one appliance at a time.

I run under 50-watts amateur radio.

I am afraid to run HF, so far, because I don't know what I will find if I look for the ground on the electrical service box.

I don't see where I could tie in.

7. W7CJD

FC59BEE3-D532-4B06-A16F-624D9B437EA7.jpeg
    Here, bribes are paid to get credentials.

..about every house and business in this town, and the electric co-op would be condemned ..plus water and sewer.

Homes are sold, and resold when the utilities are found out, even after tearing out everything and "doing it right" at the house.

Why? The city and county are not concerned about compliance.

They even "overspent" $6 Million on a $10 million budget, and cannot account for it ..and there is no accountability or enforcement.

I heard they will have $2 Million less for 5 years, and the newspaper announced "they will have training".

Don't you know the "trickle down" from Washington, DC corruption and crime with no accountability poisons our communities?

I took pictures, and I got an inspection by an official on a federal contract.

Even so, they did not rewire three of the four (4) 110-120 VAC outlets. I did have the property manager remove the 220-240 VAC broken oven-range from the premises.

I suggest you WAKE UP!

Radio amateurs need to proceed with caution.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. W7CJD

I have rented city and town.

I want to build on my own property, hard-pressed to find a competent electrician or plumber.

I interview. They brag, and lie.

10. W4WTS

You guys are filling me with confidence....and to think...I just had an electrician add a second box to get the 240 into the shack.....probably should have just done it myself......