Why I can't own an FTdx5000

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KJ6VCN, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJ6VCN

KJ6VCN Ham Member

It's more than just the price. For the longest time this was my dream radio... until just the other day when perusing the displays at HRO, I noticed something that I just can't forgive. And ever since then I don't think I could own one without this little oversight nagging at me.

Take a look at this photo and see if you notice anything: http://yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=7161&FileCatID=156&FileName=FTDX5000Front%5FDetail2.JPG&FileContentType=image%2Fpjpeg. Found it yet? Here's a hint for you; it's not a problem with the design, that's perfect. Look at the part where is says "YAESU HF/50 MHz TRANSCEIVER FTDX5000". You'll have to see the picture I've linked. I didn't want to give it away in my post here.

Call me OCD, but I can't have a $6000 radio with that kind of a design oversight. That would nag at me every day.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

Since you highlighted "transceiver" are you referring to it's spelling?
    ...Which is correct by the way.
    So it is late and you missed something or,
    it is late and I did!

3. KJ6VCN

KJ6VCN Ham Member

See how it's spelled on the radio itself... I didn't want to give it away in the post.

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

Ok I get it. Too funny!

You better buy one. It may be worth a FORTUNE like a mis-struck coin or some improperly printed stamps are!!

5. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

Looks like the "S" is missing in the the word transciever

6. 4X1SO

4X1SO Ham Member

7. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member

If you despise small errors, you put IN QUOTES an innaccuracy. If you quote you must quote accurately. Using as an excuse you did not want to give away an error as an excuse for inaccurate quoting is no different than the error you despise. You love the radio but won't buy it due to a missing letter says more about you than Yaesu

8. KD8FYI

KD8FYI Ham Member

But he's not selling a six-thousand dollar radio, Burt.

Ed

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member

Oh, lighten up Burt. This isn't English 101.

And to be perfectly honest, if you're going to complain about his syntax, you should fix your spelling.

In any event, the bolded area was more than sufficient to make his point. And I find it somewhat humorous... the notion that a $6K radio has a simple spelling error is worth a chuckle (yes, technically, it is an acceptable version of the word, but it's not the version in common use today)

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member

Thanks for the chuckle. I may just use this in some form in my next club newsletter; if I do, I'll give you full credit for pointing it out.

11. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

I'm surprised that given the few here who are obsessed with spelling that there isn't a group organized to boycott Yaesu and demand a public apology from Yaesu.

12. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member

At least they spelled it correctly on my FT 2000 D ;)

13. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber

In light of this glaring flaw, the rigs should be pulled from the stores and sold on eBay for $100 each - buy it now, thousands available....

Pat, You there?

Anyone know CPR? Pat, Pat, Call 911. Pat, Pat????

14. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member

How about that malfunctioning station monitor?

Meter shows 9+20Db. Where does such a signal appear in the monitor display?

Or, is that the noise level? :)

15. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

I'd do a BLACK FRIDAY stint where I would camp out in front of HRO for a MONTH to nab a FTdx5000 for $100. I already tried to sell my soul to the Devil for one, but he wouldn't give me much for it. I STILL would have to come up with $5995!!!! Last weekend, I squandered $60 in tickets to try and WIN one at the Visalia DX Convention. Some clown who didn't need it won it. He probably will sell it on Ebay. Meanwhile, I hafta use my 1980 FT-107M to work DX on, which I have been successful at doing, but it just isn't as WHIZBANG as a FTdx5000 would be! The Wife doesn't want to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house so I can get one. So the ONLY hope is to watch the ground and find a bag of DRUG MONEY to use.

I DID find a dollar bill in the hallway of the Comfort Inn last Sunday. A dollar won't do me any good, so I gave it to a little girl who was running around. She was thrilled to get a free dollar! She doesn't NEED a FTdx5000!

16. K9ROC

K9ROC Ham Member

LOL, good find! ;-)

17. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator

I wouldn't own it either. Not because of the missing "s," but because of the lower case "dx."

Who the hell needs lower case DX?

Bill

18. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

It's made in China.....
    Reason enough for me.

19. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

If it was made in CHina, it should cost $100 instead of $6000!!! Someone at Yaesu is making a $5900 profit!

20. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

My statement above was a generalization however...
    Yaesu does have much of their radio gear made in China just like Kenwood.
    My lust after radio is the Icom IC-7800 or the IC-9100

CFJ...
    Crafted From Japan....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.