Why Generals Don't upgrade

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KA4EET, May 3, 2011.

?

Why don't generals upgrade to extra?

1. Not enough gain in band space

38.3%
  2. It won't improve my knowledge of ham radio

9.0%
  3. I am not a contester or DXer

18.9%
  4. I don't believe in incentive licensing

11.4%
  5. I just don't have the time to study

41.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
  1. KA4EET

KA4EET Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many generals that do not upgrade.

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

We Generals (Advanced) already know it all, so why bother?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

it makes them feel important and special.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

perhaps you should "invert" the question and ask why generals DO upgrade.

5. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

To gain more bandwith allocation due to passing the modern test du jour allowing more possible contacts would be my answer.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why don't drivers of private passenger vehicles upgrade and get a commercial drivers license?

Why don't commercial drivers upgrade and become commercial Fedex pilots?

Why don't commercial Fedex pilots upgrade and become NASA astronauts?

etc etc..

Just because you "can" upgrade something, doesn't necessarily mean you have any particular need to do so.

Similarly, if I only drive a passenger vehicle all the time, then what can a commercial drivers license do for me that I can't already do with my regular drivers licence?

..It's not about being capable or not of doing the road test.

...It's also not about being legally permitted to operate larger commercial vehicles with higher gross weight limits either.

I mean, whats the point really if I only prefer to drive a passenger vehicle?

7. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think soon enough there will only be one class of amateur . If I get the theory down before that I will take the test , but I do not believe in memorizing answers to upgrade .

I used to look up to advanced and extra hams back when you had to actually know electronics and be proficient at code to get licensed . But most of the new extras of today don't even know how to call CQ or build a dipole let alone build a circuit or tell you about inductive reactance .

I'm not saying it is wrong to memorize answers to get a license , I'm just saying I won't do it just so I can get some extra freqs or a 1 by 2 callsign .

Gee Tony , how do you really feel ? LOL HIHI

" Bestest seventy - threeses " " QSL on your HIHI and I'll raise you one 10-4 "

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  8. KJ4VOV

KJ4VOV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A better poll might be "Why DID you upgrade?" be it from Tech to General, or General to Advanced or Advanced to Extra. There's a million reasons that can be given for not upgrading, but not so many for upgrading.

In my case, my XYL and I want to travel a bit and I wanted to be able to operate overseas.

9. N4ERZ

N4ERZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Although my situation is not one of the answers provided...here goes...

I would love to be an Extra. I would love the extra bandwidth, not having to worry about where I am int he band etc... However, I simply cannot get the electronics down. It is like speaking a foreign language. I have devoted a couple hundred hours to attempting to learn about diodes, circuits etc... and just cannot seem to get it. I have subscribed to hamtestsonline.com, I have the ARRL guide and the Gordon West book, but i just am not getting it.....

Maybe in another life....

10. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

Did something like 30 years as a Novice, simply was not impressed by a bunch of snobs in the US.
    This stuff like "Elmer" and Wouff Hung were the equal of hazing to me, and I wanted no part of it.
    Upgraded to expand my horizons.
    Now, as was pointed out, most hams of the new generation know little of ohms law and might think a Smith chart belongs in a British car, and have no concept of Elmer or Rettysnitch.
    Electronics theory is nice, but when the radio you have is a computer with an RF section added and everything is soft pot controlled and SMD even the old hams give up.
    Everything gets sent off for servicing now.
    And I am now a General.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.