Why Does Vermont Not Answer ?????????

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2WH, Jan 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you ever ping the guy I mentioned in my post? I'm 100% sure he'd be happy to help... he's a very active ham and ARRL officer

Dave
    W7UUU

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

According to

http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts

on Feb 9, 2019 there were 2124 current, unexpired FCC-issued amateur licenses held by individuals in Vermont.

17 Novices
    995 Technicians
    504 Generals
    122 Advanceds
    496 Extras

Of the 50 states, 5 have fewer hams than Vermont: Delaware, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Wyoming.

Of course the number active is a different thing, and the number active on a specific band/mode is even less.

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

As Jim noted, active is the key word here. The number of Vermont hams who are routinely active on HF is far, far less than the 2,000+ listed in the database.

If you look at Jim's list of states with fewer hams than Vermont, all of them are known as challenge states for completing WAS. For example, in order to complete my 20 meter WAS, I still need Delaware and Rhode Island. The issue there isn't just skip zone.

Put another way, Jim just pointed out that there are more licensed hams in Alaska or Hawaii than there are in Vermont.

I can recall getting a request from a Brazilian station to make a sked to complete his WAS, which I did. More recently, a local club just got a request from a ZS for a sked with Vermont on 60 meters.

Vermont can be considered "rare DX" by North American standards.

N2EY likes this.
  4. N2EY

All true - and there's more, as revealed by the stats available via the link I posted.

One thing I've noted is that the license class distribution varies quite a bit by state. Someone else can calculate the "hams per capita" numbers.

There's also the question of "where you look". In the November CW SS, I usually have no problem working all the "rare" US states except for Pacific (which includes Hawaii), Alaska, and maybe one or two others.

73 de Jim, N2EY

5. N5WVR

Isn't it funny how often the bands open when a contest starts, and shut down when the contest is over? :)

6. N2EY

Just listen to 80 or 40 meters at o300Z (10 pm Eastern) from 28 to 58 kHz up from the low end....Band opens up for an hour, then goes quiet at 0400Z.

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. N5WVR

If you ignore the limited HF privileges of Technicians and Novices and focus on General, Advanced, and Extra as core HF users, you can come to some interesting conclusions.

Alaska and Hawaii have about 1,700 licensed hams each. Vermont, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Rhode Island are all pretty much at parity, with about 1,000 each. Delaware is a smidgen lower at just over 900. North Dakota is the lowest at less than 800.

While the number of active hams everywhere is much lower than licensed, to a first approximation we assume that the percentage of active hams is roughly equal across each state.

This means that Alaska likely has 50% more hams than Vermont. Hawaii also has 50% more hams than Vermont.

Vermont, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Rhode Island would all be about equally difficult to work if propagation is comparable from your location. Delaware is slightly harder (about 10% fewer hams), and North Dakota substantially harder (20% fewer hams). I can tell you that I very rarely hear any of these 5 states (excluding Vermont) in my routine HF operations.

On the other hand, location and propagation do matter. I hear Illinois significantly more often than Washington, yet Washington has 35% more licensed hams.

Given my past experience, I suspect I'm going to need skeds to work Delaware and Rhode Island on 20 meters. In everyday life I don't hear them on that band, and in contests, they are on but I'm likely to be drowned out by louder stations farther away.

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

It is lunchtime and W1SJ in FN34 is on 17M at -18 in Connecticut

9. N5WVR

W1SJ is one of the most active ops in Vermont. He's passionate about ham radio. AA1SU is also very active. KI1P (formerly N1GBB), K1BIF (formerly KB1WXM), KB1FRW, K1VMT, W1JXN, K1ZK, W1VT, K1MZM, and W1SFR, can also be heard. N1UR is a major contester. W1AIM is very active on HF and VHF/UHF. And I'm on a fair amount myself.

I can't quantify it, but I believe my list of 14 hams above accounts for a disproportionate amount (though certainly not all) of the HF activity in Vermont. (No doubt I've missed someone important, but that doesn't change the conclusion.) If you need to work Vermont, it's quite likely that you'll be working someone on that list.

The 80/20 Pareto rule applies here; if you have 100 people doing something at least occasionally, the bulk of the activity comes from the most active 20%.

N0TZU and N2EY like this.
  10. N5WVR

Minor error -- I should not have included W1VT, who is based in CT. I had confused him with "the other Zach", K1ZK. Oops!