WHY do we need RSID to determine the mode?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W0BTU, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Which Olivia mode is in common use?

Which Olivia mode is in common use? I can't print Olivia in Fldigi no matter what I do.

In fact, I have never been able to decode anything in Fldigi except PSK31, RTTY, and CW.

Perhaps people use Olivia or other digital modes that aren't supported in Fldigi?

Often the station quits before I can find the mode; in other cases, I just give up. But I'm fairly certain the last mode was Olivia, because the PSK31 station said that he was going to switch to it. No matter which Olivia mode or sideband I tried, it wouldn't print. The width of the signal on the WF matched the width of Fldigi's red lines, that's all I can say.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

I tried Ham Radio Deluxe last night, but when I try to transmit, it displays an error saying that it can't start the TCP/IP server on port 7xxx or something. At any rate, I want to figure out how to get Fldigi working on the other modes.

Anyway, I'll say it again: What is needed is something in addition to RSID to determine the mode and switch to it. If a software algorithm can't be written to determine the mode in every single case, anything is better than the state of the art right now!

2. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike:

Here are links to 3 helpful websites.

http://www.oliviamode.com/
    http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.20/Modes/index.htm
    http://hflink.com/olivia/

As you will see, Olivia, Contestia, and MFSK sound a lot alike.
    You can determine the bandwidth by looking at the waterfall. After a while you will get the hang of it, and be able to click on a few of the common modes until you find the one that decodes.

Most commonly used are probably the 250 and 500 Hz modes, with Contestia now being used almost as much as Olivia. Contestia is a little faster for typing purposes but not quite as robust as Olivia, and lacks Olivia's Forward Error Correction (FEC), so it isn't used as much as Olivia when band conditions are poor.

I strongly urge you to figure out how to set up HRD / DM 780. I find it more intuitive and easier to learn than FLDIGI. There are several reflectors on line for DM 780 which can help you set it up, just Google it. The DM 780 users website is at http://dm780.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

The most common reason for the various digital modes to fail to decode, is overdriving your sound card. If you turn the audio way down on your soundcard input you will probably have better luck decoding. Also keep you transmit power down low enough, using your soundcard output, to where you have NO ALC activity whatsoever when transmitting. 30 watts is considered high power on these modes, and there is no point in ever using more than 50 watts even under the worst conditions. All higher power will do is corrupt your signal making it undecodeable, and grossly increase your bandwidth to the great displeasure of other hams.

I suggest you get set up and try 20 meters, at about 14.072 - 14.074 USB, and call CQ using RSID until you get an answer.

Once you have made a few contacts it will become easy.

WARNING ! Olivia and Contestia are great rag chew modes, and you can become addicted before you know it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. W0BTU

Thank you, Randy! I appreciate your advice. :)

I'll check out the links. As for the RX level, I think I have it set conservatively; and if you saw my waterfall, I believe you would agree. But I will try turning the audio down further, and try DM780 again.

EDIT: looking at the links, I see I was seeing Thor, MFSK, or DominoEX, NOT Olivia.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

One other thing to consider is some ops are hearing impaired or have bad hearing. Many of the old-timers I chat with on PSK31 say they had to give up CW and SSB because they can no longer hear it.

5. W0BTU

I pretty sure that I found out why I couldn't print it tonight. After playing the sound file on KB0ASQ's web site, I think what I am hearing (on 40m) is JT65, and you need special software for it.

BTW, I did get DM-780 working, after I installed a new sound card.

I don't know what happened, but after using DM-780 for awhile, PSK31 stopped working in both Fldigi and DM 780. It would only print gibberish. I tried reinstalling Fldigi, etc. The only thing that worked was disabling the onboard Intel sound card and installing an older SoundBlaster Live! card.

6. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JT 65 has it's own, very distinct musical sound and appearance on the waterfall.

It is a great DX QRP mode. The information exchanged is very limited (basically signal report, call sign, grid square, and maybe antenna and power), making it unsuitable as a reg chew mode, but it can be a lot of fun. It is quite leisurely, taking about 5 minutes to complete a simple QSO. BUT, if you are interested in a mode that allows you to work anywhere on the planet with 5 watts and a piece of wire hanging out the window as an antenna, look no further.

For those who don't find it attractive, please just ignore this post. We don't need to start a bash fest here.

If you want to give it a try, the software is available for FREE. (See below).

It may appear quite complicated at first, but is really user friendly and quiet easy to learn.

Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jt65-hf/files/ and download JT65 HF 1070.exe You don't need the other files there.

Then go to: http://www.hamclubs.info/JT-Utilities/ and download the mini programs that interface with JT65, making it even more convenient. These are: JT Alert v1.4.1 JT Macro v1.0.2 and JT Import v1.0.1

Then get on the air and have fun. The most used freq is 14.076 USB There is a LOT of JT65 activity there all the time.

7. W0BTU

I tried the Linux version of JT65 last night without success. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS choked on the python -O command. Another time, perhaps.

8. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

More significantly from a users standpoint is that it is also going to take some time. - Assuming that the mystery signal stays on the air that long.

If we had software to do that, hardly anybody would bother to use it due to the time it would take to get a result from it.

Note that we have several digital modes that look alike on the waterfall to a casual observer.

Seems like a lot less trouble to go ahead and figure out the RSID system.

It works.

9. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just an education problem at this point.
    The software vendors could help by making RSID the default rather than having the users turn it on.

10. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't been able to do that since they stopped making Packards.

Hell, the spell-checker doesn't even like "Packard."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.