Why am I hearing "DX" over and over on FT8?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KB0NAV, Jan 7, 2018.

ad: l-rl
  1. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is why I recommend a separate sound card for the rig. If your transceiver has a built on sound card, use that. If not, get an interface like a Rigblaster Advantage or a Signalink. You can just get an additional/external soundcard, but an actual rig interface box offers several advantages beyond just a soundcard. Anyway, do that and you'll save yourself some embarrassment down the road when you find you've been broadcasting Windows bing-bongs or maybe even that Black Sabbath album you have on iTunes. "But I've got the PC's sound card set up right." Well, you did before that Windows update changed everything. LOL.

K3RW likes this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it is not a "voice" transmission. nor is it in "the CW" part of the band;)

4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're interested in working weak DX, I wouldn't recommend the SignaLink. Its built-in sound card is rather mediocre. You won't be able to decode stations at the lower end of the SNR range with one of those. An Asus Xonar U5 or U7 is much better.

5. W4NNF

Not my experience. Not that I'm using one anymore...I've moved on to a rig with a built in sound card--which is really the best solution.

6. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you do any objective testing, or was your experience anecdotal?

7. W4NNF

My experience was using the interface to work plenty of Asian DX easily, which even if anecdotal, is good enough more me. LOL

8. SM0XHJ

SM0XHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Signalink USB uses a codec chip (PCM2904, very similar to the one used in the IC-7300 USB interface) with a SINAD specified to 89/93 dB. That isn't too bad. For comparison, the audio codec used in the FT-450 is a AK4550 chip with SINAD 82/85 dB. I haven't seen any complaints on the FT-450 for that. Have you adjusted the levels properly?

9. SM0XHJ

SM0XHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with the WSJT-X and JTAlert, but why doesn't the software prevent you from using the same audio interface for alerting as is used for the rig? It doesn't seem like a valid configuration to me. What would be the use case for that?

10. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing that many hams try is a single sound card system which is what I did. When I realized that my Sony TV monitor's remote control was in control of the amplitude of the PSK31 audio to my IC-756PRO, it seemed like a good reason to install a second sound card.:)