Why 1x2 or 2x1 ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Why do you want a 1x2 or 2x1 vanity callsign ?

1. Old hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

2. New hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

3. It will give me an advantage in a DX pileup

4. I can't remember any callsign longer than four characters

5. Other (Explain in reply)

6. I have no interest in having a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a 5 wpm Novice and a 13 wpm General. I was QRT for a little over 10 years, but I kept my license current. Following my retirement, I decided to get back into the hobby. When I was active, I operated mostly CW. When I got back into the hobby in February 2018, I started with CW and started chasing states and DX.

I noticed I was missing some good opportunities for DX and even some of the "DX" (for me) states by not being able to work in the Extra portions of the bands. I got some materials, started studying, and passed the exam for Extra in 2018. The other thing I noticed was that in some pileups, the DX op was coming back to stations before I finished sending my call. That is when I started applying for 1x2 calls in my call area and that rolled off the paddles easily. After about 6 or 7 applications, I finally got a good CW call. So, my motivation was to have a short call for DXing and contesting. It helps.

K8PG, W0AQ and ND6M like this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my call 30+ years now.. no desire at all to change it. Sure, it can be argued that it's an advantage in contests and pileups but I've almost always made it through any pileup I get into. Some of the very top DXCC standings have 2x3's, so I don't see any issue with having a longer call. While lengthy, I think my call has good rhythm in cw.

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I see no reason to obtain a 1x2 or 2x1. I still have not seen one available with a lower CW weight than my 1x3.

4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanted my call to reflect the area I'm in. N3PM was my first choice. Sometimes yer lucky.
    Mike N3PM

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^
    If anything, all else being equal, a longer callsign sticks out in a pileup. After all stations w/ shorter callsigns are done QRMing each other, the DX station hears one (or more) characters of longer callsign(s). :)

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's all about timing. I rarely key up when everyone else does but I wait a second or so so MY call is heard once all the others have finished QRMing each other.

When I first got my license in 1970, one had to have an extra class and have been licensed for 25 years to get a 1X2. Several hams I looked up to as a young kid had 1X2 calls and I always said I'd like to have one of those one day. Of course, the requirements now are different and a 1X2 doesn't mean what it used to, but I still like mine. 1X2 W4 calls are very hard to come by. If you check contest results especially for the DX contests, you will see a majority of the top finishers are 1X2 or similar calls. Of course, part of that is various contest stations obtain those calls and never let them go and are primarily active during contests.

.................Bob

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my 2X1 cuz chicks dig it.

W0AQ likes this.
  8. W0AQ

W0AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Which ones?

9. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

U U U monster!

W7UUU likes this.