Whole lotta Nekkid Heathkits going on: Cabinet restoration time begins!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Jun 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Something's off about the SB lineup picture... I've got it,

the case colors are all the same! :p

W7UUU likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I know!! Nuts, right??!!

They're frankly stunning in person - I've never seen more than two SB cabinets the same color at the same time... ever - until this batch.

I let them cure a LOOONNNNGGGG time too - I have too many past mistakes of putting gear in boxes before the paint was fully cured. Every box spent an entire afternoon being rotated every hour in the hot summer sun for UVA - twice. Then they spent about 6 weeks just sitting in a safe place in an unused room. I consider that the paint is actually better than any original Heathkit paint - fully stripped boxes, proper self-etching Zinc Chromate primer, hammer-tone base coat for texture, then multiple coats of "Heathkit Light Turquoise Green" paint.

I can hardly wait to get them all into the station, but alas they've all been moved from the bench back to safe storage. Next weekend I gut the main operating position to get the station geared up for K1T.... I hope to have 100% operation of the primary rigs (SB-301, SB-401, SB-101, and DX-60b) commencing exactly ONE YEAR before the K1T event starts - one month and 3 days from now - October 7.

My goal (yeah, it's a stretch!!) is to work a fresh DXCC and W.A.S. using 100% Heathkit gear during the year before K1T goes live... that should be a great way to "work out the bugs".

Dave
    W7UUU

KC8VWM, KC3BZJ and N2EY like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Coming up on one year for the massive refinishing project that's the subject of this thread - plus the 6 months before that to the start of the acquiring/restoring/learning... I can't believe how much stuff is behind me on this project!!

Search callsign: K1T here on QRZ in the callsign lookup for photos. Still posting material so check back. But all those "Nekkid Heathkits" are now on the air daily.....

This has been much more of an exhausting journey than I had initially expected....

But only 54 days to go - then the real fun begins!

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and KD2ACO like this.