Whole lotta Nekkid Heathkits going on: Cabinet restoration time begins!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Jun 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So have I mentioned just how sick of smelling PAINT I am at this point? :)

Just finished second coats on the last four boxes....

So in total:

SB-3xx type hinged boxes: 4
    SB-600 type boxes: 9
    SB-650 boxes: 2
    HR-10/DX-60b boxes: 2
    HG-10b box: 1
    HD-1410 box: 1

For a total of NINETEEN Heathkit boxes went through the garage, all IMO as close to original as possible - stripped to bare, Zinc Chromate acid-etch primer, Rustoleum Hammertone base coat for texture, 2 final coats Heathkit SB green and dark SB green. I'll have spares of both sizes - only need three of the larger and only five of the smaller. I just stripped and painted everything I had so I only have to do it once!

Now they'll sit - for probably two weeks - just so the paint can cure fully. I've learned very hard lessons about putting gear in newly painted boxes too soon. Patience is very very much a virtue.

Paint "booth" comes down tonight, just in time for new kitchen cabinets to take up the space for our new kitchen project.

Note too: I now have a SECOND SB-650 due to another local generous benefactor. Will post such in the SB-650 thread tonight. That explains why I just painted a second SB-650 box :)

Dave
    W7UUU

1-2016-07-26 16.47.37.jpg

WA7PRC and AF6LJ like this.
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Brings back fond memories of building Heathkits.
    SB-301
    SB-600
    SB-620
    A few pieces of test gear
    2 voltmeters..
    1 signal generator
    1 cap checker
    1 low voltage variable power supply
    and others I cannot remember off the top of my hed.

WA7PRC and W7UUU like this.
  3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm actually considering that for one of the two SB-650s I now have! The first one is seriously tempting to consider, because the Nixie socket traces are trashed. All I would need to do is pick off the BCD chip into an LED driver to the readouts.

Thanks for posting those sockets - that would be perfect for the task....

I'm revisiting the 650 (x2) project later this week - and make a decision on which way I want to go, now that I have TWO of the things!

Dave
    W7UUU

AF6LJ and WA7PRC like this.
  5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My suggestion:

Press on with making one SB-650 as original as possible - Nixie tubes, patched-up PCB, etc. One good unit from the two hangar queens.

Then, if that's not enough, make an "SB-650A" - an improved version, with LED display, new PCB or perfboard, revised power supply (no need for HV), etc. , which can be used with the S-line same as the original.

Or, keep what's left as a parts source.

IMHO.

I mean, if all you want is a digital dial for the SB-line, there are easier solutions. But it's not about "easy".

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of shape is the second one in?

8. W7UUU

Yep! It's about the K1T project and something of a "Heathkit SB Dream Station" from the era. I will most definitely be selling off much of the SB station after K1T is over. I'll likely only keep the SB-101, SB-640 and SB-630 and sell all the rest off.

I'll revisit the SB-650 thread later today when I'm back in town and post pix. But it's in pretty good shape - the MHz Nixie strip has issues - when it powers on, the Nixie lights for 1/10th of a second then goes out. But it's vastly better than the water-damaged one.

Watch for updates in that thread later, with lots of pix

Dave
    W7UUU

KC3BZJ, N2EY and AF6LJ like this.
  9. W7UUU

Well now that the sad tale of the SB-650 has come to a close, I can get back to the larger project: K1T and all the Nekkid Heathkit Boxes.

So first batch is in beautiful new-looking boxes, with all new feet, screws, and lid-hold-down screws.

Quite a sight to see indeed! I've never owned a complete SB-401/SB-301 with SB-650 station before! I can hardly wait to get it on the air - hopefully fairly soon. Just need to alter the main operating position infrastructure a bit.... I'll be pulling all the modern gear to make room for complete Heath coverage. The 301/401 will be used 100% for CW, the SB-101 for both CW and SSB.

Anyway, for now they'll live on the bench for a while - going to get them on the air from the bench first, just to make sure everything is all in order.

Dave
    W7UUU

1-2016-09-03 13.19.17.jpg 2-2016-09-03 13.19.35.jpg 3-2016-09-03 13.19.41.jpg

K6CZH, KC3BZJ, KS4W and 2 others like this.
  10. W7UUU

HD-1410 - nice little keyer but I wish the weight they used was a bit heavier.... but backing off the springs makes for very easy use. Looks NICE in the repainted cabinet - originally was very beat up.

Dave
    W7UUU

1-2016-09-03 14.29.32.jpg

KD2ACO and N2EY like this.