Who offers the best MOXON HEX Beam kit for a good price?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AC0FP, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
  1. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking of putting up a Moxon HEX beam for maybe 10, 12 ,& 15 meters. Who makes the best Moxon HEX Beam kit for a good price and what do you get? What other materials are necessary to make the beam kit work?

fp :)
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might get confused if you look for plans and parts for a "Moxon Hexbeam" since as far as I know, there is no such thing.

There's a Moxon, and there's a Hex Beam. They're quite different.
  3. AC0FP

OK, is the principal behind their operation the same?

Which has the smaller footprint?

Which would be the better choice in the "bang for buck" department?

4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Similar in that they're compact two element beams...but some differences that can best be described by someone with more technical knowledge than I.

The Moxon will give you slightly more gain and possibly better f/b than the Hex.

I built a 10 meter Moxon two months ago and have since worked over 50 DXCCs with it at 33' above ground.

I also have a 6 meter Traffie Hex Beam and I used to use it for 6m roving and portable operation when I lived in W6 land. Also a very good antenna but now I use a 5 element yagi for 6m stuff so the antenna is down for now.

I strongly urge you to check out the Hex beam Yahoo group as well as the Moxon Project website; both are chock full of info that will help you decide. Google these to find them easily; I don't have the links handy.

FYI, the Moxon is generally a single-band beam although multi band versions have been built with success.

The Hex beams can be either single of multi-band and also offer a lot of bang for the buck. I think the K4EIO (not sure if that's the correct call) versions are the least expensive kits, IIRC.

DXEngineering ones are a bit pricey but as with all of their stuff---superb quality, IMO.

If you only operate one or two bands like me I'd suggest a Moxon; they're easy to build with fiberglass fishing poles, plastic cutting boards, wire and the like.

Either way you go you'll be pleased! Both are compact, lightweight and offer single coax feeds at 50 ohms. Somewhat stealthier than usual big arrays, too.

Have fun in your quest and let us know what you go with.

You can see a picture of my DIY Moxon on my QRZ page, if interested.

73, Jeff (a big fan of both types of these great wire beams!)
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my opinion. they are both wonderful "compromise" antennas that are easy to install and use.

I haven't seen many multi-band Moxons (they were originally designed to be single-band antennas) but the Hex Beam lends itself to multi-banding well, and there are several 5-band designs and fully manufactured products out there.

Since they don't have real "booms" and can be built of fairly small diameter materials, they have little wind loading and can be turned by a pretty small, light-duty rotator. Although this isn't always the case, either can be built with "wire" elements and lightweight spreaders made from various insulating materials including PVC, ABS, fibreglas, bamboo, etc.

After using a building a few, I'd probably opt for a Moxon single-bander but I'd opt for a Hex multi-bander.

After building one 5-band Hex from a kit of parts, I think next time I'd just buy the factory prefabricated Traffie HX5Bi Hexbeam (commercial product), as it is much easier! But that's just me.:p;)
  6. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to operate the 3 adjacent bands mentioned in the first post, I would choose the Hexbeam. The Moxon has problems with multiple bands that are close in frequency.

Just an update on WB2WIK's comment: the alternative Hexbeam suppliers in the USA - K4KIO, DXE - now supply their beams pre-assembled (within shipping limits), rather than as kits.

Steve G3TXQ
  7. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry I failed to notice that you specified 10-12-15 meters in your initial post; thus I wholeheartedly concur with Steve's comments as well.

A Hex (either the Classic or Broadband version) should well suffice and be easy to erect.

Nonetheless, you may find the Moxon Project website thoroughly intriguing as I did---check out some of the many photos of various installations---if you ever want to make a simple but great monobander... Les Moxon was a tad ahead of his time, IMO.

73, Jeff
  8. AC0FP

Thanks to all. I've decided to go with the HEX-beam, if I can find one for a good price. If I decide that a mono band antenna on 15 meters might be all I really need then I will go with the Moxon.

9. G7VQE

G7VQE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is mine for 20,15 and 10 metres....as has been said the elements are located too close too each other to work properly when you introduce the WARC bands too.

As you can see I run three seperate feeds as I'm a bit of a knuckle dragger and couldn't get it working from a single feed like the Hex beam does.

My other main reason for staying with the Moxon after its excellent front to back performance is it's skeletal two dimensional profile which attracts less admiring glances from neighbouring properties than the short lived 10 metre quad did or a Hex most likely would.

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder here:eek:.

10. IK2CLB

IK2CLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hi steve,
    did you make test about F/B ratio in all three bands?

Last winter i used 2 band moxon ( 40/30 meters) but the inner rectangle ( 30 meters band) didn't works as the 40 meter rectangle, two drivers was feed togheter by 60 cm coaxial 75 ohms.
    F/B ratio on low angle signals ( VK land, ja, zl and W6 long path) was about 25 (and more) on 40 , but not more then 10 db on 30.

After the summer hailstorms two fishing rods were broken, and i decidet to fix the moxon by removing the inner rectangle.

Surprise: the antenna was more short resonance ( 7,200 mhz).
    I add about 60 cm both elements.
    Well, the moxon works great again.

I tried to analyze the antenna and the fb is actually low, but it improves if you add a director (4% short then diver) to reach the performance of Moxon single band, and a dual band should have one more element on the higher frequency.
    All this on paper, you should try on the field.:confused:
    maybe next summer.:D

What do you think ? (Aside from my bad English:eek:)
  11. G7VQE

G7VQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Marco,In answer to your question I haven't measured with any instrumentation the front to back ratio on my Moxon but I have to say it's a big improvement over the Cushcraft MA5B mini beam I was using before and in practice feels looks like about 3 to 4 S points of rejection.

I'm flattered you've asked about my antenna as your 40 metre Moxon on the site:- http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/ was what inspired me to build my one in the first place......we must both be Moxon fan boys also I'm very jealous of your Moxons tower location!:D

As I said in my post though Marco I couldn't get my three band version to work when trying to use a common feed coax but using seperate feeds for each band made it a better compromise and now I have useful bandwidth on each band although in my case I tune for the centre of the phone portion as I can't work CW so that helps.

I couldn't get 17 or 12 metres to work with 20 and 15 as the element wires were then all much too close to each other and the antenna wouldn't work at all.

Your English is a lot better than my Italian Marco,grazie amico,Dave.
  12. IK2CLB

IK2CLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i am very glad Steve, to inspire your moxon project.

I have not tried to feed my dual band separately, in fact, the mach was not the best, SWR was 1:1.5 at 10,180 and increase to 1:1,9 at 10,210 till 10,400, The 40 meter rectangle worked more flat 1:1,2 at 7,000- 1:1,1 at 7,100- 1:1,3 7,230 - but now, without the 30 mters rectangle the bandwith isn't large like past... :rolleyes:

I am interested in experiencing multiband moxons, beacause it is easy to build and very cheap, without forgetting the excellent performance.

currently on that tower, above the Moxon, is a 4-band dipole 30/20/18/15 in spiderbeam driver configurations, But The Project Is Another Moxon, ofcourse ..

here it is:

I stai tuned for your experiment, and will update if I have news ;)

cu soon!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.