Who makes a good new 2M mobile with a good front end?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC3ECJ, Feb 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me , the Kenwood TM281A is a pretty decent inexpensive radio to start with for single bander .However watch out on the manual describing the entry of memory channels you have to press the function key twice not once to get memory set in place.... I had that pop up and almost returned the radio thinking it was defective when I found out about that little oops in the manual by looking up the problem of non storing memories on Google.

2. N0KEW

N0KEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom id5100 or better yet the 2820.

Yaesu can keel over and die.

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is there not a 2 meter ALL-MODE mobile transceiver on the market ?
    I refuse to buy a NEW, retail price 2 meter rig that is permanently stuck in FM mode.

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The manufacturers think there is no market for them and no demand for them.

5. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Market forces. People on 2 meters most often use the band for local direct voice communications and repeater operation. Then comes the occasional satellite operation or digital modes. All of this is predominately on FM because the bandwidth is there for the mode, FM has a carrier for squelch, and better noise rejection than AM or other modes.

FM is also pretty cheap to do, and efficient (DC in to RF out that is), with modern technology. If someone is going to go to the effort of adding all the extras to get more modes then adding the extras to do more bands come with. There just isn't much of a market for the middle ground.

Then I'll expect you will be waiting a long time for your "dream" transceiver to come along.

What other modes are you looking for, and why? If you want something other than FM on 2 meters then there are radios for that. They simply do more bands than just 2 meters.

6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Must have VOX. Very few dedicated 2 meter/440 rigs have that. VOX may cost you over $1K+ more. The ICOM TC-9700 has VOX and costs $2100. But, a FT-991A for HF/VHF/UHF is about $1200.