ad: Grapevine-1

Who has HRD working with a Kenwood radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Deluxe - HRD' started by K2ZS, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
  1. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

OK,

I see a pattern here. I have a Kenwood TS-690S and can NOT get HRD (v5) to communicate with my radio. I posted to HRD's forum several times asking for help and received no answers. After browsing this forum I see that I am not the only Kenwood owner that can't use HRD.

Rather than asking why I can't get it to work, how about asking who has gotten it to work? I would be interested in knowing if there are any Kenwood owners that have successfully gotten HRD to work with their radios. Please let us know what radio you have and what you did, if anything out of the ordinary is required share that as well. So far I have found several posts indicating that the "TS-x50" series (the TS-690 is the TS-450 with 6 meters) has issues.

Is there any way to get the software creator to respond to our questions?

2. W4RAA

W4RAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Serial cable connected from my Computer to the Input of a Data Switch that is connected to a Kenwood TS-870S, Yaesu FT 857D, Yaesu FT 1000MP MK V Field and a Yaesu FT 9000. All are working Fine with HRD.

v/r
    Bob

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bob,

So the 870 worked with no problems and I see a post a few down from here where someone with a 480 got it to work so it seems current radios are working. I would sure like to try it with my TS-690S but the software won't talk with it. I'm using a commercially made serial interface that came from West Mountain and it works with every other software package I have tried.

4. N4HYK

N4HYK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Scott , I have HRD working with my Kenwood TS-2000 by using a serial to USB cable with a Toshiba Laptop. I can have the HRD with DM780 Digital program and my
    RigBlaster Connected to the same computer and running at the same time using MixW 2.20 and OR EasyPal for Digital Slowscan. You can see some pictures on QRZ and also get my email address.
    I hang out on 7.147 MHz. most mornings and some other times also. Dock / N4HYK

5. KF5JMJ

KF5JMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a kenwood 450s working with hdr. Need help? it took me 2 days to figure it out.

6. KC2ZPK

KC2ZPK Ham Member QRZ Page

TS-940, Piexx adapter in radio, serial connection to computer with serial port. Connected on first try :) I was supprised.

Are using a usb/serial adapter at all, I know from other projects (MegaSquirt) some adapters will not work.

7. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would really like your help. The 690 is a TS-450 with 6 meters so setup should be the same. I also found help on the eHam forums and was told that I need to use a null modem cable for my connection to the PC, is that true? If so I doubt if I will continue with HRD because I don't want to have to "re-tool" whenever I want to use N1MM or TRX Manager. I would like to get it working just to see if I can though. He also said the the hardware port settings have to match the radio so I changed my com2 to 4800bps, 8, none, 1, and none.

Basically whenever I try connecting to the radio it times out trying to read the frequency and gives me an error message that at the end recommends I disable "packet mode"? There are no menu options for my rig (power up menu's) that refer to any sort of packet mode...

And to KC2ZPK, this is a hardware com port not a usb port...

Thanks in advanced for your help...

8. M5DND

M5DND Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Scott,

I have HRD working on My TS-850sat with no problems. Only use HRD because the display has failed on the 850 and yet to find a replacement :-(

Nik M5DND

9. N7MCH

N7MCH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using V5 with the latest build and running both my Yaesu 897 and my old Kenwood 440 without any issue. I am running from a USB to serial cable from my laptop through a Kenwood IF-232C to the radio. I had to set the CTS and RTS to get it work but it works just fine.

I can switch back and forth between the Yaesu and the Kenwood without any problems.

Good luck.

73 de Walt N7MCH

10. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if it's because I'm not using Kenwood's FIF-232C, I'm using a rig control for Kenwood radios from West Mountain Radio. It has worked flawlessly with every other software package I have tried though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.