Who has HRD working with a Kenwood radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Deluxe - HRD' started by K2ZS, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
  1. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

OK,

I see a pattern here. I have a Kenwood TS-690S and can NOT get HRD (v5) to communicate with my radio. I posted to HRD's forum several times asking for help and received no answers. After browsing this forum I see that I am not the only Kenwood owner that can't use HRD.

Rather than asking why I can't get it to work, how about asking who has gotten it to work? I would be interested in knowing if there are any Kenwood owners that have successfully gotten HRD to work with their radios. Please let us know what radio you have and what you did, if anything out of the ordinary is required share that as well. So far I have found several posts indicating that the "TS-x50" series (the TS-690 is the TS-450 with 6 meters) has issues.

Is there any way to get the software creator to respond to our questions?

2. W4RAA

W4RAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Serial cable connected from my Computer to the Input of a Data Switch that is connected to a Kenwood TS-870S, Yaesu FT 857D, Yaesu FT 1000MP MK V Field and a Yaesu FT 9000. All are working Fine with HRD.

v/r
    Bob

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bob,

So the 870 worked with no problems and I see a post a few down from here where someone with a 480 got it to work so it seems current radios are working. I would sure like to try it with my TS-690S but the software won't talk with it. I'm using a commercially made serial interface that came from West Mountain and it works with every other software package I have tried.

4. N4HYK

N4HYK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Scott , I have HRD working with my Kenwood TS-2000 by using a serial to USB cable with a Toshiba Laptop. I can have the HRD with DM780 Digital program and my
    RigBlaster Connected to the same computer and running at the same time using MixW 2.20 and OR EasyPal for Digital Slowscan. You can see some pictures on QRZ and also get my email address.
    I hang out on 7.147 MHz. most mornings and some other times also. Dock / N4HYK

5. KF5JMJ

KF5JMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a kenwood 450s working with hdr. Need help? it took me 2 days to figure it out.

6. KC2ZPK

KC2ZPK Ham Member QRZ Page

TS-940, Piexx adapter in radio, serial connection to computer with serial port. Connected on first try :) I was supprised.

Are using a usb/serial adapter at all, I know from other projects (MegaSquirt) some adapters will not work.

7. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would really like your help. The 690 is a TS-450 with 6 meters so setup should be the same. I also found help on the eHam forums and was told that I need to use a null modem cable for my connection to the PC, is that true? If so I doubt if I will continue with HRD because I don't want to have to "re-tool" whenever I want to use N1MM or TRX Manager. I would like to get it working just to see if I can though. He also said the the hardware port settings have to match the radio so I changed my com2 to 4800bps, 8, none, 1, and none.

Basically whenever I try connecting to the radio it times out trying to read the frequency and gives me an error message that at the end recommends I disable "packet mode"? There are no menu options for my rig (power up menu's) that refer to any sort of packet mode...

And to KC2ZPK, this is a hardware com port not a usb port...

Thanks in advanced for your help...

8. M5DND

M5DND Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Scott,

I have HRD working on My TS-850sat with no problems. Only use HRD because the display has failed on the 850 and yet to find a replacement :-(

Nik M5DND

9. N7MCH

N7MCH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using V5 with the latest build and running both my Yaesu 897 and my old Kenwood 440 without any issue. I am running from a USB to serial cable from my laptop through a Kenwood IF-232C to the radio. I had to set the CTS and RTS to get it work but it works just fine.

I can switch back and forth between the Yaesu and the Kenwood without any problems.

Good luck.

73 de Walt N7MCH

10. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if it's because I'm not using Kenwood's FIF-232C, I'm using a rig control for Kenwood radios from West Mountain Radio. It has worked flawlessly with every other software package I have tried though.

11. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Works FB on my TS-480SAT.

See it work on my QRZ lookup and scroll down

12. KD0NPT

KD0NPT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have it running on a TS-570, it has it's own DB-9 serial port. I use the Accessory port to connect to a Signalink USB interface which has it's own sound card. Since you are using a serial type adapter on your Accesory port, what does the configuration appear as in ControlPanel/Sytem/Hardware/DeviceManager/Ports?

Does the port# and speed in HRD match the settings in Device Manager? I'm guessing you are using XP, if not
    let us know. The TS-570 has internal Menus that set Port speed as well, mine is currently set at 38,400, with
    CTS/RTS enabled. I don't think the 690 has menus, correct me if wrong.

Lets make sure your COM Ports are configured correctly before going further. Is HRD looking at a different Port? etc.

13. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've gone through the COM port settings and made them match my radio (4800, 8, none, 1 and none). I could play with flow control settings but I doubt that it's the PC's problem.

I keep getting an error message stating something about disabling "Packet Modes" or something. I have gone through the menu options in the rig and find no mention of packet mode at all. I see there are default packet modes built into HRD, is that what it is refering to? I have tried deleting those modes from the default HRD protocols but they keep showing up. I don't see those modes in the kenwood radio settings anyway.

Early on in this thread I received a post from KF5JMJ stating that he got it working with his TS-450 and offered help but he never came back. I replied saying that yes, I needed his help and after a few days PM'ed him but never got a response.

Someone suggested that HRD needs a NULL Modem cable which I haven't tried yet, I have one but need a gender changer. The problem I have with that idea is that the radio communicated 100% with N1MM, TRX Manager, Logger32, and every other software that I have tried. I use the other software on a regular basis so if I have to re-cable and change settings every time I want to use HRD I will pass on the idea.

14. KD0NPT

You don't need the null modem cable unless you are trying to synch or data transfer between radios. No need to set flow control

I am using version 5 HRD and I don't see a setting for packet, which version are you using?

Your earlier posts mention you are using a West Mtn USB/Serial converter, there may be issues with it and HRD. You might try
    picking up a USB/Serial adapter from a local PC store and maybe Best Buy, install it and it's drivers and maybe things will start working.
    See if West Mtn. has updated their drivers for it.

It can be hit and miss using various brands of serial conerters, an internet search will show you what I mean.

How far does HRD load before you get the packet error?

73 Bill

15. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bill,

I'm using HRD 5 (and I also un-installed that to try the version 4.x).

The West Mountain cable is just their rig interface cable for Kenwood radios, it is not any sort of USB COM port. I am using the on-board COM port with the computer. The cable works with every other software package I have that interfaces with rigs.

The "Packet Modes" I was referring to is in the HRD radio communication protocol files.

The software loads just fine and I have had it working with my Yaesu FT-100 radio. The problem is when I try setting it up for my Kenwood, which is my main radio. I go through the radio set up screen and it times out trying to connect to my rig and won't connect.

16. KD0NPT

OK, now try going to the CONNECT menu and make a NEW connection. In the radio pulldown selection choose TS-450S, the command structure appears the same as the 690. Set it up for the Com port specs you are using. Then, one at a time X CTS,RTS; ignore DTR for now, then try
    connecting. Do the same with the 690 pulldown as well. Try different combinations of those. I got the same error when I didn't have them
    set right.--BTW the author shows to uninstall HRD you have to also clean it out of the Registry. Well, he is in error, you also have to go to Drive C and make "hidden files and folders" visible, then go to C:\Documents and Settings\admin\ApplicationData\SimonBrown,...\ and remove
    all those entries as well or you got trouble remaining behind.

Configuration files get corrupted in there and remain after Deinstallation. When you reinstall HRD they ruin the new configuration and the same problems remain. I went through this many hours last weekend with my Logbook getting messed up and crashing, no matter how many times I reinstalled and cleaned our the registry the same problem remained. There may be something in there hosing your setup, but for now just try
    the Connection recommendations before digging in these other folders. I wish programmers would just keep everything in one directory instead
    spreading it all over creation, they can't seem to remember where they put things when it's time to remove their programs.

I'm not a programmer but you wonder about some of the stuff you see.

Hope you find something ...

73 Bill

17. N1WO

N1WO Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope K2ZS gets it working ok ! I also have a Kenwood 570 S and I am looking to install hrd program when, I find a candy store that sells it. Hopefully it will have directions and materials needed to install it. I'm using XP pentium 4 computor. thanx for any info guys ! :)

18. K2ZS

K2ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all for your help. After trying on and off for 2 years now I haven't gotten HRD to work with my radio and it's time to move on. It's a pity I couldn't get any response from it's creator offering support for his software but that's ok. Maybe someday if I retire my 690 the next rig will be compatible but until that time I'll continue with TRX Manager because it works without jumping through hoops...

Thanks again :)

19. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

What does the test box indicate after you set up and request a connect?
    Baud rate has to be the same in the radio menu setting as the com port being used.
    I am using the new HRD download in Windows 7 and a new computer that does not have an RS 232 port.
    I have a converter from 232 to USB. Baud rate is set at 115200. Radio is a 480.
    An issue I do have with the new computer is with Kenwood's own control program using the buss converter.
    KW say it works for them so I have to keep working on the port problem or try to get a 232 card to fit my new computer and eliminate the converter and it's software driver.
    Good luck.

20. WW1ME

WW1ME Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just setting up HRD here on my boat with a Kenwood TS-480HX, and the program does not play together nearly as nicely as it does with my ICOM radios. It has dropped the connection a few times in the couple of hours I've been working with it. Also, when I tune the radio via HRD, it switches mode (in this case from CW to USB) for some reason. Is there a special trick to this? Using a serial-to-USB adapter (Prolific chipset).

73, Rick / WW3DE/mm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.