Who else is getting started with GNU Radio?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by N0NB, Jan 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool. Be aware that "reboot" does an immediate reboot and can be a little surprising since it doesn't need sudo (if you're the only user on the system).

2. G4HYG

G4HYG Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you only have one audio channel or Mono selected. It needs I and Q audio channels sent to Left and Right (or Right and Left depending on the receiver) for the software to display the correct spectrum.

if you only have one audio channel or Mono selected then it works exactly like a direct conversion receiver and the software displays both sides of the spectrum together as a mirror image about the DC point.

If you are using it with Windows check the sound card audio settings as external cards often get set up as a default mono microphone and need changing to DVD quality stereo.

Chris, G4HYG

3. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Chris.

That is what I was wondering. Before I tried it a couple of months back I checked the continuity of the audio out cable back to the board for each contact on the 3.5mm plug. I am using a Xonar U7 and everything sound related in Debian Buster (Linux) indicates the microphone input is stereo. I suppose I'll need to do some testing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  4. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a way I can get GNU radio to play back I/Q files that I have recorded from my Flex 6600M ? I've tried playing around with GQRX without any luck.

5. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gqrx expects an IQ file of float values. 4 bytes of I followed by 4 bytes of Q and so forth. Here's a sample file you can test with. It's upper sideband SSB at 1.92 Msps. It's generated from GNU Radio, so there's no noise. 773,314,880 bytes. Be sure to right click on the link.

http://www.w6rz.net/ssb.cfile

If you can upload a Flex IQ file somewhere, I can take a look at it.

6. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I'll try your file and I will post one of my files tonight for you to try. -Joe