Who doesn't like FREE (McAfee All access Antivirus with firewall)

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD8DEY, Aug 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is nice, Have your credit card ready.

upload_2018-9-2_19-25-52.png

2. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

Both Spybot Search & Destroy, and Malwarebytes are free, and effective products.

Oh, and you are cute. (*wink)

3. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

AVG got acquired by Avast, iirc. AVG was made in the Czech Republic. Avast also originates from the Czech Republic.

5. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good to know. I have had no difficulty with AVG, they've been rock solid for me.

de NK2U

6. HERPSIN

HERPSIN QRZ Member

I recently watched level of protection; mcafee review. I also think to choose this antivirus. Tell me, is this solution suitable for a weak computer? Will the system slow down?

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to work for McAfee back before they merged with Network General. I've got to say, after that merger. I've not been a fan of their products. They became very bloated doing things that weren't necessary.

As for using vs not using anti-virus software. Well, that depends on the user really. If you do questionable activities while online. Then an anti-virus is probably a very good thing to have. By questionable, I'm not *just* talking about warez, pr0n, etc. I'm talking about visiting sites of unknown origins, downloading software from unknown sources, etc. Doing things like that are very risky. (that includes downloading random ham custom made software)

Personally, I keep the standard MS defender software and Malwarebytes on my Windows PCs, then I avoid questionable sites / software. If I do want to try specific software, I create a throw-away virtual machine to test it first.

For my Linux machines, don't do anything but occasionally scan for rootkits.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Before downloading "free" software, you should be aware that if there is no overt revenue stream, then there is always a covert one. Typically this comes in the form of permission for the software provider to "share" your private data with whoever is willing to pay for it. With a virus scanner, such permission allows the software company access to everything on your computer.... under the guise of seeking out viruses.....and as we have learned from Facebook, Amazon, and Google their "privacy policies" are either carefully written to obscure what they are going to do with your data, or they are simply ignored.

I think I'd have to decline their wonderful free offer.

9. K8CD

K8CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having been in IT for over a decade I would advise against using McAfee and or Norton. It has become utter trash over the past several years. I've always used Avast and haven't had any issues. Nod32 was king for a bit, not sure where they stand at this point in time though.

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in IT, too, and I second that--we have issues at work where McAfee doesn't play well with OS-X.

On the home front, I use BitDefender and MalwareBytes. Overkill, I know, for a Mac but better to suffer a slight performance hit than be hacked. The only inconvenience is "training" those two which websites are marked as dangerous when in reality they're benign, but it's easy to whitelist those.