ad: KF7PMW-1

Who doesn't like FREE (McAfee All access Antivirus with firewall)

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD8DEY, Aug 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

McAfee has provided me with a great deal of income fixing systems it breaks, both on servers and home machines. Avira has been good to me for years, excluding the minor annoying popup near the clock. Avira was one of the first to deal with root kits. Defense in depth is the smartest strategy in my experience.

2. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How about the free version of AVG?

de NK2U

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to be enlightened, do a Google search on anti-virus + software + review and read all the different reviews of anti-virus software that's out there. Not surprisingly, nobody agrees on which is the best one, and not surprisingly, the ones that are reviewed as best are on websites that accept paid advertisements and are sketchy at best.

However, I can tell you which of these utilities is agreed upon to be the worst: MacKeeper--it's the spawn of the Devil himself.

4. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several people in the IT field that I know and respect, Avira and AVG are good by them. I can't speak personally to others.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

You're right about McAfee--at least the Enterprise version: We're having a helluva time getting it to update itself on our Macs at work. We thought that we'd delete it off the machines (using Terminal) and try reinstalling it but no matter how hard I.T. tried for weeks, they couldn't delete it--it would magically reappear after rebooting. One tech called McAfee for help and they got back to him two weeks later by calling on the weekend; of course nobody was around so after Sunday's non-answer of the phone they closed the case. : P

Finally, I.T. got some help and fixed the problem but we're dropping McAfee as soon as we find a suitable replacement; I'll pass along to them about Avira and AVG.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A firewall and hosts file is all that I have been using for years.

The hosts file even protects me from the Facebook virus.

KQ9J likes this.
  7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

The drawback with this method is that it is a fair amount of work to keep it current.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is true. No big deal for me.

I would rather control my machine. I do not need any help from Microsoft or NSA.

No Strings Attached...

9. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

Spybot Search & Destroy does the hosts file nice and easy. https://www.safer-networking.org

Malwarebytes is good for cleaning up malware that got through, but mostly, with Spybot S&D, they don't get through.

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm investigating the protection offered by Ooma, my VOIP carrier, where we wouldn't need anti-whatever software on our machines but would let them catch everything: https://www.ooma.com/ooma-introduces-internet-security-make-home-networks-safer-secure/ . I'm guessing they're supplying/using a VPN so our traffic goes through their servers before being rerouted back to our ISP, but I'm not sure.

Speaking of VPNs...

I tried NordVPN and it kept getting hung up with Google's services/browser. NordVPN is aware of the problem but that's about as far as it goes.