ad: elecraft

Who can checkout/repair amps around DFW

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W0XX, Dec 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steve for the correction.

2. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. HamRepair (disregard what their website states - NO)...

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

BB and I have been in E-Mail communications and we have discussed things that he can do with the amplifier.

In the past, I have worked on several units that he has brought over to my house. However, I now really try to avoid working on linear amplifiers because of the weight. There are also some "boat anchor" transmitters that I am now trying to avoid when I can. In my "younger days", I could throw the units around without any problem. Unfortunately, "old age" is creeping up on me and handling really heavy items is getting harder and harder!

Again, I ask the question: Why is youth wasted on the young!

Glen, K9STH

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent a note to Glen and like Ham Repair.com, they don't want to mess with teh 922 due to size/weight (it is a beast). Array solutions said they can. So at this point, I think an open tube may be the issue due to equipment dealer sending the tubes improperly packed (not in foam) and one got rattled a bit and filament damaged. At this point, I have one original Amperex tube in the amp and a taylor 500ZG from another amp, and that tube lights up, HV is appropriate, no smoke, so may have only been the bad tube causing something to heat up initially when first powered (which I shut down right away). At this point, waiting to hear from teh dealer about a replacement tube which will likely go back into the other amp as it should be a new tube that way I won't have one old tube working with one new tube in the 922.

I did note powering the amp with only the one tube, the HV readings were a bit higher as to be expected since only running one tube. With the other tube (good one) in the socket, the HV was appropriate, around 2200 V in CW and 3200 or so in SSB position.\

5. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I missing something here? Why not just install good tubes and use the amp ?

6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

VFO:

He has installed good tubes and the amplifier is working fine.

Glen, K9STH

KC9VFO likes this.
  7. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Prior to receiving an alternate tube (since this was a dealer transaction) I tested with one from another amp as stated. Prior to that, did not know if there was an amp problem or a tube issue, which it turned out to be. Tube was not properly packed and likely the vibration, shock, etc damaged the tube internally. Amp is now working. Still checking things out as I am not familiar with this amp and just because it is like an SB-220 of sorts, doesn't make it an SB-220. Will likely just use it and consider it serviceable.

KC9VFO likes this.