ad: AlphaRF-1

Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by W8WJC, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: Subscribe
  1. W8WJC

W8WJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for peoples thoughts as to which microphone I have is better. I'm not looking to upgrade to something else. I know that there are better mics than what I have but I'm fairly limited on desk space and don't have room for a nice mic on a boom arm.

I have a Heil HMM hand mic and I also have a Heil Proset Elite 6. Which one is better? Are they similar when it comes to the mic elements? Is one better for ragchewing or DX? I've gotten good audio reports with both so I'm just curious as to what others think and know.

Thanks,
    Bill
    W8WJC

2. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bill

I think the rig and the settings of the rig are more important as the mike your using.

I realy found out a long time ago that the rig and mike and rig settings and operators voice are important in the combination.
    The mike is only 1 of 4 important things, most mikes are good enough to reach the desired goals.

Audio tip for ragchewing is a full natural audio.
    Audio for DX X-tal clear.
    sharp, clear, loud and not to wide.
    Bass tones only make things more rounded and natural, but does nothing in readabillity.
    But you can easely test this yourself.
    Look on the bands for a low signal in noise and qrm , and see if such a signal that sounds clear and loud is easier to read as a simular weak signal in noise and qrm that sounds bassy.

Maybe you can reach a websdr station and record your own send audio so you can judge it yourself.
    I have got a number of those websdr recievers in reach varying from 40 to 8000 miles in distance, so I can test and record a lot, these websdr stations also alowe me to set RX bandwith etc.
    And they have waterfall displays that also alowes me to see my TX signals bandwith etc.

good luck Bill

3. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the Proset Elite 6 is better.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

If you get good reports on both, I would just pick the one that is more appealing to you, and be done with it....
    Soooo. would you rather go hands free with the Proset using Vox, makin it easier to grab a burger & a Beer, or does it matter....
    RX sound better through the phones, or the speaker...
    Ymmv

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The best mic is normally the one that does not pick up your spouse yelling at you, Asking you for a honey do or telling you to get off of the radio. ;)

6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally subjective... both to the Op, and the person on the receiving end.

It's like asking if Burger King or McDonalds tastes better.

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Hardees

8. W8WJC

W8WJC Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a winner to me. Hi Hi

9. KD9KSO

KD9KSO Well-Known Member QRZ Page

That would be a hypercardioid.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

A headset keeps the microphone in the correct location and doesn't occupy your hand to hold the PTT button (if you use a footswitch, etc). Frequency response can be tailored w/ an outboard device. Some rigs have that built-in.

The headphones on the Proset Elite 6 have a phase reversal switch. On my older ProSet Plus, that sometimes makes an improvement in copying a station.