ad: QSKLLC-1

Which of these amps would be a good 1st amp?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KF5PAL, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree optimal TX and RX antennas aren't necessarily the same.

TX is all about e.r.p., while RX is all about S/N ratio. Some receiving antennas might be 20 dB down from TX antennas but if they improve S/N by even 1 dB, they're better.

It's why people use Beverages, loops and all sorts of stuff you wouldn't want to transmit with on the lower bands.

Sometimes if my noise level is high, I use my regular TX antenna and then use a separate RX antenna which might be terrible (like using my 20m beam on 80m) to improve S/N. On my 80m antenna a signal might be S9 but if noise level is also S9, it's hard to hear that signal. Using a lousy antenna (like the 20m beam on 80m) might reduce the signal to S1, but if noise level is S0, now I can hear that station just fine.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said.

3. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one am a weak signal DX'er I try to work the ones that are just above the noise level at first I will try barefoot if I get them that is great. But if I can not get them bare foot the amp comes on for CW I will run 1 KW and 90% of the time I will work them. But that 90% is if they have not been spotted yet and do not have a big pile-up. Yes antennas are very important I learned that when I first started in radio a good antenna and 100W will beat a crummy antenna and 1KW almost every time and when you combine a good antenna and 1KW it is what you look for. I bought a 3 element SteppIR 6 years ago and so far it is the best I have ever owned. I am restricted to 35' here in the rental house I live in but I have worked 290 DXCC countries with 256 confirmed and 185 of them I got on the SteppIR before that I used a A3S and a MA5B along with a R7. So Yes a good antenna is very important and should be the first thing to strive for than the amp after.

Roland AH6RR

4. KA3YAN

KA3YAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a wire receive antenna that is only about 6ft off the ground. It runs along the top rail of the wooden fence that goes around the back yard of the property that I rent. The noise floor on that antenna is about 8 S-units below the noise floor of my G5RV at 40 ft. You might say..."but Brad, you can't work what you can't hear!" and that may be true, but I also can't work a station buried in the noise. That receiving antenna has been a blessing in keeping the S/N ratio low enough to copy many difficult stations. If I had to transmit with it, it'll tune but my ERP is awful. Most of my signal is either absorbed into the ground or used to warm up the clouds.

Incidentally, I mainly use the receive-only antenna for 80 meters. As I go higher in frequency, the S/N radio goes down somewhat on the G5RV.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, and do something like this pretty often.

Doesn't matter if a signal is S1 or S9+20 dB, I can only work it if I can hear it above the noise level.

If a signal is very clear and free of obvious noise distractions, and very easy to copy, it's "599" no matter what the S-meter reads.:eek:

6. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest before continuing to demonstrate your ignorance you look up beverage antennas. Absolutely excellent receive antennas due to the low noise but absolutely abysmal for transmit as they have a Rr of about 1 ohm.

7. K5AMH

K5AMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is beginning to sound very PERSONAL which is strictly forbidden on this forum I believe. Surely we can disagree without the ad hominem attacks and strong language.

8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

And I suggest you stop after typing and asking yourself this question, "is pushing the Post button a good idea."

In this case, it definitely wasn't. You're being logged for a personal attack.

Bill, K7JBQ
    One of the QRZ.com moderators

9. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you say please??

10. KD5RTY

KD5RTY Ham Member QRZ Page

First amp

I think alot of good information has been passed on here. However, I don't understand the aversion to the little al 811/h, I have one that I paid 300 for, a very good value and it has worked flawlessly, except for my negligence [which cost me a tube], and the aforementioned meter lights. I replaced all 3 tubes for less than 100 bucks and went on down the road. I picked it up when I lost the plate transformer on my L4b, with that said, IMO the al572 would be a better value than either of the amps mentioned, more output for about the same money. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.