Which Digital Modes Have Bitten The Dust?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KK4NSF, Aug 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to do WAS 20-40-80 on JT-65 during its heyday, but that would be impossible today due to the lack of activity.

As for PSK31, that's still my favorite conversational digital mode. However, I'm part of the problem and don't use it like I ought to. The PSK31 hotspots may vary slightly depending on your region in the world, and they seemed less tightly formalized than WSJT modes.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a late bloomer on digital. Have been doing RTTY for five years and FT8 for three years. Still prefer CW, but I don't mind playing with RTTY and FT8.

I was well on my way to 100 countries on RTTY for my RTTY DXCC and then discovered ARRL had merged it with "digital" so there is now no separate RTTY award. Dang. Getting 156 countries on FT8 was easy. Getting 100 on RTTY a big tougher.

Thank goodness for RTTY contests ! I will get to 100 soon enough and feel good about it even without the wallpaper.

WD9EWK and KK4NSF like this.
  4. KK4NSF

you may have an opportunity soon. I'm thinking of posting a "Special Event".... a BPSK31 Revival Night..... running from 6pm Eastern Time to midnight Pacific Time on a not-yet-determined night, and see if we can generate a lot of QSOs / Conversation / FUN!

KT5WB likes this.
  5. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a PK-232 (or similar) anymore, but it would be neat to see how AMTOR FEC compares with the modern modes as far as throughput goes. AMTOR FEC and ARQ were quite the thing for weak-signal work back then.

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that PSK31 is a great conversational mode, I kind of soured on it once the macro thing got going, I don't really care who made the motherboard in your computer, or the firmware versions of your rig, bla bla bla. These days, when I engage in a PSK31 QSO, my first exchange is something about my age or employment status or whatever that needs a bit of a manual response. If the other end responds with a irrelevant macro, I generally have a bad problem with QSB or QRM or QRN and cut it very short. But, I am wide open to a real chat once we get the RST and rig data out of the way.

just my $.02 worth. No refunds.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    AG6QR, KK4NSF and KD0KZE like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Read the specs. The upper limit is known through calculation. Any of the modern modes are light speeds faster. GTor was an AMTOR killer for speed. shrug.

8. KK4NSF

I'm with you, buddy! I much prefer a real conversation rather than a macro-generated robo-qso! That's why me and FT8 don't get along.

I'm on BPSK31 right now (7.035 or 7.040).... looking for a good non-robot person to talk to. but so far, no luck

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  9. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try 7.078 where JS8Call has about a 15dB advantage over PSK31.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very few digital modes have really bitten the dust; most have a few people still using them. Heck, there's even some 2-meter packet out there.

The ground truth, though? FT8 marginalized a lot of modes. Even the much loved PSK31. Oh, there's still RTTY, but not that much; the most activity is during contests. Otherwise it's about as lonely as PSK31.