Which Amateur Radio Organizations Should I Be A Member Of?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KF5VGK, Mar 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Hook up with a local Club, and help new amateur radio operators or work in training classes to get more people on the air
    Join the American Radio relay League
    Even if you don't like them, when it gets down to it they're the most powerful voice for amateur radio, really in the world.
    The International radio Union would not exist if not for the ARRL after World War II and we probably wouldn't have any frequencies. Stop griping about I'm going to start supporting them I certainly don't agree with all their views it is political like everything else.
    Most importantly, get involved and get somebody on the.

KF5VGK and NE1U like this.
  2. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First, a local club that is friendly, active and supports YOUR interests (AM, contesting, construction, digital, weak signal, contesting or ???.) If you're excited about the hobby and it's friendly, join and test the waters. Second, ARRL is a good second choice if for no other reason than QST and the online archives. Finding a third option is entirely up to your personal interests and desires, you might join a 3D printing or Maker club that will offer skills that will enrich amateur radio for you.
    You CANNOT GO WRONG supporting QRZ, there is more to be learned here than you might expect! Plus, I'm here and mother said I was handsome and intellej...intill...intelligent.
    If all else fails, send me the money every year and I'll write nice things about you on Instagram once a month...73

KF5VGK, AF7XT and K0UO like this.
  3. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

start your own

W1TRY likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally agree with K1TRY's post above.

You CANNOT GO WRONG supporting QRZ, there is more to be learned here than you might expect!

KF5VGK and W1TRY like this.
  5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel bias ... just sayin'

6. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

abcd

7. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think of QRZ as an organization. I like QRZ quite a lot, but basically it is a paid (if you choose to do so) forum. That is not to say that a donation would not be appropriate if you choose. Organizations are ARRL & RSGB. There is probably some concise description defining the difference between an organization, a club, and a forum ... but at the moment I am too lazy to write that out. Although it might have to do with organizing an organzed group event and/or at least some modicom of technical publishing by vetted authors or at least vetted technical standards. I'm all worn out now.

KF5VGK likes this.
  8. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

It is good to see you are a paid QRZ subscriber.

Not everybody agrees, but I put the ARRL on the top of my list for a lot of reasons. I've been a member since 1962, except for the Wayne Green Years of anti incentive licensing. (I wasn't a hippie -- but I had to rant about something in my teens!:cool:)

I belong to two very good ARRL affiliated clubs that are very community oriented. They both do a lot of good things for the community and for promoting amateur radio.

Over the years I've been active in MARS and with the Red Cross. I dont feel like we are quite as relevant in those areas any longer.

I'd like to find a somewhat local group that is into high pressure balloon RF/propagation work.

Go for something that really sparks your interest.

KF5VGK likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I forwarded this to Vanna and she's interested but needs more details.

AF7XT likes this.
  10. KA4ETV

KA4ETV Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ and your local club are about it. In my personal opinion the ARRL is not worth the money. Plus there is a bit of an attitude at the ARRL as well. The most important thing is to have fun and not let the "usual black cloud hams "ruin the experience. You know the... "oh they are killing ham radio with the no code, if you don't operate 100 percent CW you are an idiot, if you say boo against the ARRL we will ban you". It's just ham radio after all.

AF7XT and KF5VGK like this.