Where's AO-92???

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K6LCS, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes - the AMSAT-NA control team's use of Twitter to announce the changes is working
    out better than I thought it would.

If you aren't involved with Twitter, watch the OSCAR Status page ...

https://www.amsat.org/status/

And use it not only to see what others are receiving (or not receiving!) - but enter your own reception reports. hey helping not only fellow hams, but also lets control operators know if their mode change commands worked!

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't have to have a Twitter account to watch what @AMSAT posts on Twitter, only to post. So you can quasi be uninvolved on Twitter and still see what is posted real time.

3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a twitter quitter....

KA2CZU likes this.
  4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the issue from the amsat-bb is that retweets by AMSAT from a personal account don't necessarily make it to everyone, and is not a good practice.

but I'm at the point that the OSCAR status page is the best way to go no matter what.

WD9EWK likes this.
  5. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Should only be a problem if that control operator has blocked you their posts. But we digress ...

Yes, we should all be using / contributing to the Live OSCAR Status Page.

6. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

After a couple of weeks away from working AO-92's L/V mode, I was back on it this weekend. One pass last night just after 0500 UTC (10pm PDT Saturday), and one pass just after 1800 UTC (11am PDT) this morning. The pass last night was basically an overhead pass, and this morning's pass went up to almost 37 degrees maximum elevation. Two good passes.

During last night's pass, I heard XE1MEX early in the pass, and worked him. Nice to hear Alex working L/V. After that, I talked with Craig N6RSX in southern California for much of the pass. Since this was an overhead pass and not crowded, I was able to work about half the pass at the low-power setting on my DJ-G7T (300mW).

This morning's pass had more people on. I heard Rick VE4AMU in Winnipeg early in the pass. Others throughout the pass included three stations in southern California (N6NUG, N6RSX, and N6UTC), K7TAB not far from me in central Arizona, and AB5SS in Houston. I made contacts with most of the stations I heard.

The 10-element Yagi I ordered from eBay works very well with the DJ-G7T for AO-92 L/V. I tied the Yagi on the handle for my Elk log periodic, and run separate coax to the two radios I use (DJ-G7T for the 1.2 GHz uplink, TH-D74 for the 2m downlink).

IMG_20190414_111705887_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190414_111733746_HDR.jpg

I used the same setup for both passes I worked this weekend. It doesn't take much to be heard on 1.2 GHz, as long as other stations leave gaps for the weaker stations to get through.

Until next weekend's L/V activity...

73!

N4QX, KS1G and KA2CZU like this.
  7. WD9EWK

Hi!

I missed the Saturday (20 April) evening part of this weekend's AO-92 L-band activity; after an early start to the day at a hamfest in Phoenix, I ran out of gas for the late-evening AO-92 passes. I was ready for a pair of passes this (Sunday, 21 April) morning. The first of the two passes was at 1714 UTC (10.14am PDT), a nice pass for much of the continental USA. The maximum elevation for me in central Arizona was up to 33 degrees. I heard VE4AMU in Winnipeg early in the pass, but I wasn't able to get through and answer him in time. After a couple of minutes, I was able to get through, and work 3 stations - AA5PK and W5RKN in Texas, along with N6NUG in San Diego. In the middle of this pass, I was able to get through with 300mW from my DJ-G7T and 10-element Yagi, and did fine with 1W from the HT. I used my TH-D74 and Elk to copy the downlink, the same setup as illustrated in the photos from my previous post in this thread. I recorded the downlink from this pass on the TH-D74, and posted the WAV file from the HT in my Dropbox space.

The later pass, starting at 1848 UTC (11.48am PDT), only went up to 11 degress elevation in central Arizona. Not as good as the earlier pass for me. I heard the voice ID just as I was setting up outside, and missed catching it on the recording for this pass I posted to my Dropbox space. I was able to turn the downlink on in the middle of the pass, and hear myself at 1 watt. I did not try to reduce my transmit power, since I had a hard enough time getting the downlink turned on. After a minute, the downlink switched off, until another voice ID just before LOS. No QSOs were made.

Until next weekend and more L/V activity...

73!

WE4B and KA2CZU like this.
  8. K3RRR

K3RRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for pioneering this approach for the Elk and 1.2GHz....you are appreciated, my friend!

-.- ...-- .-. .-. .-.
    73 de Robert K3RRR
    K3RRR.com ~~~~~~~~~~~ Visit My Web Site
    @K3TripleR ~~~~~~~~~~ Follow Me On Twitter
    YouTube.com/K3RRR ~~ Check Out My Videos
    -.- ...-- .-. .-. .-.

WE4B likes this.
  9. WD9EWK

Thanks!

Ryan AI6DO deserves the credit for trying AO-92 L/V with an Elk and the 1.2 GHz Yagi. IIRC he was the first to write and tweet about using that 10-element Yagi with a 2m/70cm Elk, except he had his Yagi initially mounted on a standoff a few inches away from the Elk. I was going to try something similar, but decided to just tie the Yagi onto the Elk's handle.

Maybe my setup puts the 1.2 GHz Yagi a little closer to the Elk than it really should be, but it has been working for me - working enough so I haven't gone back to using the 5-element Yagi I started with for AO-92 L/V. It works for portable setups, and - with better coax than I use for a 3-foot run - can work at home, too. Alex N7AGF ran his through an antenna analyzer, and it was good around the AO-92 L-band uplink of 1267.360 MHz.

Good luck, and hope to hear you on AO-92 L/V sometime. 73!

K4BAD likes this.
  10. WD9EWK

Hi!

Another AO-92 L/V weekend... two workable passes for me in central Arizona (one Saturday evening, one Sunday morning). Both of these passes were good here, with maximum elevation of 54 degrees on Saturday evening, and 55 degrees Sunday morning. There were only two other stations working the Saturday evening pass just before 0500 UTC (10pm PDT Saturday), N6RSX and N6UTC in southern California. We all worked each other, and I was able to work about half of the pass at the DJ-G7T's low-power setting on 1.2 GHz (300mW).

On Sunday morning, more stations showed up for a pass just before 1800 UTC (11am PDT). More stations showed up. I logged 4 QSOs (W7QL in Utah, WA6DNR in northern California, N6NUG and N6RSX in southern California), and I heard 3 others (KE7AV in Washington state, W5RKN in Texas, VE4AMU in Manitoba). As I did the night before, I dropped my transmit power to 300mW for part of this pass. Tuning is critical when working AO-92 L/V at 1W from HTs, and even more important when the transmitter power is measured in milliwatts. Obviously, pointing the antenna(s) at the satellite, and minimizing coax losses is also a key factor, but the AFC function on the AO-92 uplink receiver doesn't work as well with weaker signals.

Until next weekend...

73!

WE4B likes this.