Where's AO-92???

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K6LCS, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Try AO-92, if you can. I'm not seeing this with AO-91. Would be interested to hear how high you're tuning the IC-7000 when working AO-92.

Thanks, and 73!

2. WD9EWK

Hi!

Earlier tonight, I added a memory channel to my Yaesu FT-4XR so I could transmit to AO-92 on 435.365 MHz, as I did with my Icom IC-W32A previously. During an AO-92 pass this evening around 10pm PDT (0500 UTC), I was able to get through late in the pass with that new memory channel. I have also updated the data file for my FT-4XR, which has groups of memory channels for our current FM satellites and the ISS. That updated file, which can be used with the free Yaesu programming software for this radio, is in my Dropbox space http://dropbox.wd9ewk.net/ in the FT-4XR folder.

There is another thread on this forum, which goes into more detail on the FT-4XR and using it on the satellites. That thread also touches on the FT-65R briefly, but focuses more on the FT-4XR.

73!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I pulled out my W32A and added that extra memory channel after your first post about it... that was all it took to convince me. :)

WD9EWK likes this.
  4. WD9EWK

Thanks!

Have you tried working AO-92, since you added that memory channel?

I posted this question on the AMSAT-BB earlier today. So far, no responses from there. I've gotten more responses on here and on Twitter, but nothing "official" that might explain what I've seen in recent weeks with the AO-92 U/V uplink.

73!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

No... not much sat activity from here lately... too cold for me. Trying to get a little HF DXing in before time to shut down the shack and take down the last of my antennas. I just wanted to get the memory channel programmed in for later. Hope to catch some passes while on the road whenever we start 'the big move' later this year. ;)

WD9EWK likes this.
  6. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WD9EWK

Kevin added the memory channel to his IC-W32A, but hasn't had a chance to work satellites lately. I would be interested in hearing Kevin's observations, if he has time to work AO-92 sometime soon with that radio (or with any other radio).

This may not be a big deal, and certainly may not be a big deal for AMSAT (it is working on the GOLF project, and AO-92 is working - regardless of any drift on the uplink frequency). It was interesting to see the need for another tuning step, and not see anyone else mention this.

73!

K4BAD likes this.
  8. WD9EWK

Hi!

After the past two weekends where I only used the Alinco DJ-G7T to work AO-92 L/V, I went back to a two-radio setup this morning. I still transmit with the DJ-G7T, but the receiver was my trusty TH-D74 which also recorded the two passes.

The two passes I worked this morning were comparable. The first pass to the east around 1700 UTC was a 20-degree pass to my east, and I had an 18-degree pass to my west at 1830 UTC. The earlier pass, covering most of the continental USA, was busy yet orderly. I heard 9 other stations on that pass (N5JJC, WB8RJY, K8YSE, W7QL, WA6DNR, W5RKN, NP4JV, K7TAB, and W5HRH), and worked all but N5JJC. I didn't vary my transmitter power for this pass, leaving it at the "high power" setting of 1 watt, but I did OK getting through.

The later pass at 1830 UTC was quieter, and only heard one other station (N6NUG) which I worked. The downlink shut down during the later pass, and I was able to wake up AO-92. Even though I had been getting through the satellite on 1267.345 MHz before the downlink shut off, I had to tune up 5 kHz before AO-92 would wake up for me. It seems like the lower-power stations need to be more accurate with their uplink tuning to get the satellite to recognize their 67.0 Hz tone. I worked a good portion of this pass at the low-power setting on the DJ-G7T, 300mW, and got through reasonably well.

I have posted my audio recordings from the two passes (1657 UTC, 1830 UTC) to my Dropbox space http://dropbox.wd9ewk.net/. It is nice to hear more stations on these L/V passes, especially those using HTs or other radios with lower transmitter power.

73!

KA2CZU likes this.
  9. WD9EWK

Hi!

This weekend's L-band activity didn't start until Sunday morning over North America, due to the mode change being skipped last night. I had one pass this morning around 1738 UTC that went directly over Arizona, and I worked one of the evening passes around 0411 UTC. Lots of stations across the central and western USA were on this morning, and I worked the only other station I heard (N6RSX in California) during the 18-degree pass I had tonight. Like with last weekend, I went back to a two-radio setup - transmitting with the DJ-G7T and 10-element Yagi from eBay, receiving with the TH-D74 and Elk log periodic. I have uploaded my audio from the two passes (1738 UTC, 0411 UTC) to my Dropbox space.

With the late start for L-band this weekend, AO-92 should remain in L/V mode through the first pass over the eastern part of the continental USA on Monday morning. If the 24-hour timer is working properly, the change back to the normal U/V mode should take place around 1433 UTC - while the satellite is over South America.

73!

10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep saying it but do hope to try my hand soon. Sunday morning passes are a bust for me, timing wise, so I have to try at night, either Saturday night or Sunday night, it seems from checking the schedules. Weather and other things have impacted in those windows as well. One of these times... it's finally getting warmer out there :)

WD9EWK likes this.