Where's AO-92???

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K6LCS, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

Taking a break from talking L/V, but staying with AO-92...

Earlier today during an AO-92 U/V pass, I was using my Kenwood TH-D72 HT and Elk log periodic. Late in the pass, I found that I wasn't able to get through using 435.360 MHz, the last of the 5 steps normally used to work AO-92's 70cm uplink:

Fox1_frequencies.jpg

I found that I had to tune up to 435.365 MHz for the last minute or so of the pass to get through. This was not the first time I have had to do this; I had to do this recently when I tried my old Icom IC-W32A on the current FM satellites. With the IC-W32A, I had to tune up to 435.365 MHz to work AO-92 approaching LOS.

With AO-91's 70cm uplink, I find I can divide the passes roughly into 5 equal parts for tuning purposes. With AO-92, I don't normally stay on 435.340 MHz very long after AOS, before I move up to 435.345 MHz and on from there. Thinking about what I did this morning, I probably spent the same amount of time on 435.340 MHz as I did 435.365 MHz, which was about half as long as I spent on the other 5 kHz steps between 435.345 and 435.360 MHz.

Has anyone else seen this with their radio(s) working AO-92? I don't recall ever having to tune up to 435.365 MHz a year ago when working AO-92. I have a Wouxun KG-UV9D, and may try it with its 2.5 kHz steps to see how that works near the end of a pass.

73!

WE4B likes this.
  2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I do remember adjusting "out of norm" for one of the FM sats recently, but I don't remember it being late in the pass (usually because I've wrapped up my qso's by then - not that it matters). I remember tuning up earlier than I expected early in the pass, which at least seems to jive with your experience. I cannot remember which sat it was, other than it was recent and it was the uplink, so it had to be 91 or 92.

WD9EWK likes this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, this has also happened to me and W4AQT and it's always at LOS of the satellite.

WD9EWK likes this.
  4. WD9EWK

I never have to go below 435.340 MHz around AOS to get through. Until the last few weeks with the W32A & today with my D72, I never saw the need to go above 435.360 MHz. Not sure if something has changed in the past year or so since AO-92 was launched, but it would be interesting to hear from those using satellite-ready transceivers like an IC-910H and how far the uplink goes on those radios approaching LOS.

73!

WE4B likes this.
  5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

The first time it happened to us, I thought it was the terrain where we were but on subsequent passes I figured out that we just needed to tune a bit more to be able to get into it.

WD9EWK likes this.
  6. WD9EWK

I haven't seen any mention of this before now. After this morning's AO-92 pass, I figured I would ask about it - on here, and on Twitter. Apparently, we aren't the only ones who have seen this with AO-92.

Now that I am aware of this, I will be ready to tune one more step on AO-92 passes, if needed. Not a big deal.

73!

WE4B likes this.
  7. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't even think to ask about it. I just thought it was 'us'. We just keep tuning up until we can get back into the bird. It is, however, an interesting change of events now that I think about it. I wonder what has changed.

WD9EWK likes this.
  8. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hopefully there's some data in the telemetry that perhaps bright minds could correlate to the change. Never even occurred to me, since I usually operate in challenged locations or with a minimalist antenna and figured "it was just me" with respect to dropout anywhere near LOS (below 20-15 deg usually)

WD9EWK and WE4B like this.
  9. WD9EWK

Maybe there is something that can be found in the telemetry. Then again, maybe not.

When I recently asked about why AO-92 reset itself a couple of times over a weekend in January, the answer I received could be characterized as "stuff happens". A private reply indicated that the telemetry didn't show anything that would explain the reason for those resets.

73!

KA2CZU and WE4B like this.
  10. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Patrick,if you think it will be helpful,I’ll take shot at 2 AO-91 tomorrow morning passes and see what kind of results I get.

I’ll be using my ICOM 7000...about 30 watts on 70 cm and Elk antenna.Most of the time,I’ve been able to leave the uplink frequency fixed(sweet spot) My hunch is the AFC is particulary effective if you are running a bit of power i.e. more than a HT.

My operating experience with both AO-91 and 92 have been about the same.
    73 K4BAD

WE4B likes this.