Where's AO-92???

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K6LCS, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that I'm almost past the Christmas/New Year's undecorating, I hope to be on soon... need to dig out an N-to-SMA connection and will give it a go... not likely tonight but hope to next week. Fingers crossed.

WD9EWK likes this.
  2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful with an N-to-SMA adapter, if that's going directly on an HT.

Hope to hear you on AO-92 L/V, if it can stay in that mode for more than a couple of hours. With the 10-element eBay Yagi, I'm doing a lot better on lower passes. If some of the operators of home stations would back off long-winded transmissions, I (and probably others not running 10W or more on that band) might be able to get through and make some QSOs.

73!

3. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you watch AMSAT-NA's Twitter feed (best source) to see when the control team
    switches AO-92 to 1.2GHz UPlink mode, you "saw" them do that for last Saturday. But ...

AO-92 "reset" itself during that mode ... and reset itself a second time and
    reverted to 440 UP / 2M DOWN. The resets occurred at ...

January 6 - 03:21 UTC
    January 7 - 02:32 UTC

BOTTOM LINE: Watch their Twitter feed for updated information! Or, as K3RLD
    cites - check this Status Page out -

http://www.amsat.org/tlm/health.php?id=4&port=

If the entry "LBand Uplink Enabled = TRUE" - then it's in L/v.

If "= False", then its U/v.

Clint K6LCS

K3RLD likes this.
  4. WD9EWK

Yup, Alan WA4SCA posted those reset times on the AMSAT-BB list - another good place for satellite-related news and information.

Alan was answering my questions/comments about the resets that happened over the weekend. IIRC there was another time where AO-92 had a reset while in L/V mode in the past year, but not twice in the same weekend. Alan also mentioned in another AMSAT-BB post last night that AO-91 had two resets during the weekend. I haven't seen anything "official" from AMSAT about these resets, on Twitter or the AMSAT-BB list, yet.

WE4B and K3RLD like this.
  5. KD9LTQ

KD9LTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some intelligence and clarity; seemingly rare commodities. Thank you.

WD9EWK likes this.
  6. KE8FZT

KE8FZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I started on Sunday's pass in u/v move, and when they commanded it back the second time, I was able to confirm that on the Status page within a minute of hearing the tones... I wasnt able to swap my gear around in time...

The previous 2 weekends I used a Kenwood TM-541A portable with the common 10 element Yagi from eBay. It is 10 Watts on full power, and also has 10K steps. I also started using Prosat (iPhone App) to track doppler on L Band. I have drilled the boom to add 2 of the Arrow antenna elements, and use those with a D72 to receive.

With this setup I was able to easily get into AO-92 on L Band, and work anyone I wanted on the pass. The 10K steps seemed to be no problem as long as I was on frequency.

The L Band passes are definitely getting busier on the weekends, I tried switching to Low power several times to see if i could get in with 1 Watt, but basically got stomped on

WD9EWK likes this.
  7. WD9EWK

Great! You seemed to have no problems when I worked you on the 30th.

Part of the issue when AO-92 is in L/V mode is how some operators will make l-o-n-g transmissions, like they were working FO-29 or AO-7 chatting with a long-time friend. They may forget that there are others who need breaks to get through and be heard, and not just those with 1-watt stations. That doesn't seem to happen as much out west, but it happens from time to time on both western and eastern L/V passes.

73!

WE4B likes this.
  8. W9EXP

W9EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

It does make it hard to find yourself. Last weekend I couldn't get thru, but I did get lucky the previous weekend but its getting rough on one watt.

WE4B likes this.
  9. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

W4AQT and I aren't L band capable but you always sound FB on U/v :) She really stresses out when you aren't on a pass. Do you work any of the linear birds? Rumor has it that W4AQT may soon be making an appearance on them... stay tuned for more details... ;)

WD9EWK, KS1G and K3RLD like this.
  10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the opposite when first making contacts on FO-29. I was in rapid fire mode and could sense the confusion on the other end when the other ops come back, nice and relaxed like :D Still haven't dug out my N connector, will do so tomorrow and see about Sunday, snow and all over here.