Where's AO-92???

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K6LCS, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a pass going right over your Zip Code ... Your equipment
    is ready. You step outside - calmly, of course (grin) - and you hear
    that wonderfully strong 2M downlink! You wait for a break in the
    action, key your mic and announce yourself. And ...

No one hears you.

If you have worked her U/v in the past, you've probably done
    NOTHING wrong. Because AO-92's operations vary between ...

- the "easy-to-work" UHF-Uplink / VHF-Downlink "U/v" FM transponder

- its 1.2gHz-Uplink / L-Band Downshifter

- Virginia Tech's Camera

- and the University of Iowa’s High Energy Radiation CubeSat
    Instrument (HERCI).

So HOW do you know WHICH FM Voice MODE the bird is in? (No
    one likes disappointing friends and family members with
    un-accomplished comms ... )

AMSAT-NA originally posted that their Web site's "sat status" page
    would keep up-to-date as to which mode AO-92 was in.

But that ASMAT-NA status page is NOT being updated. Instead, the
    quickest way to get notifications of mode changes is to subscribe to
    AMSAT-NA's Twitter feed -

https://twitter.com/AMSAT

If you have any problems subscribing to that feed, please let me know
    via private email at k6lcs@ham-sat.info ... There are a couple hams
    working on an "instant relaying" of any "AO-92-related" posts to a
    "blind" message system - for those who have problems with or just
    don't want to get involved with Twitter.

Clint K6LCS
    951-533-4984 - cell

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

NE3R, NJ4Y, W5SAT and 4 others like this.
  3. K6LCS

There I am, trying to make it as simple as possible ...

And you cite that INCREDIBLE page of data. (grin)

Are just US-based control operators receiving/updating that page? Or
    are international stations receiving and updating?

And that "FAIL" for "Fox 4A BATTI2CFailureIndications Converted Values, Reset = 18" -
    is that something the control operators are concerned about?

Off to make another pot of coffee ... that's great stuff to watch ...

4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

It updates automatically, Clint. There are hundreds of telemetry collecting stations across the planet that upload the telemetry frames in real time. At the time I am writing this, it is 01:45z, and the latest frame is 8 minutes old. The list of stations reporting over the last 90 minutes is:

W2JTM WB1FJ-main W1EME K2ZA N8MH K4OZS Muncie Indiana
    PU3XGS VK5GU VK5KJP VK6HGR JA6PL JA1GDE JA0CAW

So, yeah.... plenty of international stations reporting.

NJ4Y, KA2CZU, WD9EWK and 1 other person like this.
  5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not true, Mr. Bradford.

Since AMSAT settled on switching AO-92 to L/V mode on Saturday evenings (early Sunday, UTC time), the Satellite Schedules page at https://www.amsat.org/satellite-schedules/ has accurately shown the AO-92 schedule:

AMSAT_satellite_schedules.jpg

The URL listed in the AO-92 part of the screenshot above is the same URL Roy posted earlier in the thread. This shows the status of the L-band downshifter, based on telemetry received by stations around the world and sent to the AMSAT server.

The AMSAT Satellite Status page at http://amsat.org/status/ is updated by individuals:

AMSAT_status_page.jpg

This screenshot, taken around 8pm PDT (0300 UTC) tonight accurately shows the status of AO-92 for this morning, that L/V was active. I posted on this site for the two passes I was on. If you were trying to work AO-92 this morning on a western pass around 11am PDT (1800 UTC), you heard Chris K7TAB and me for most of the pass. If you tried the subsequent pass, I wasn't on there, but the Status page, the Satellite Schedules page, and the telemetry page would have all shown that the L-band uplink was active.

As has been mentioned before, nobody has to be "involved" with Twitter to view the AMSAT Twitter account. Just use the URL you referenced in a browser, and there it is. If there are any concerns about having Twitter in your web browser, use a private session or private browsing window so that anything from the Twitter web site is wiped out when the browser window is closed. If you are on Twitter, just follow @AMSAT.

If AMSAT decides to change the AO-92 L/V activation from the current schedule, I'm sure AMSAT will post the news on the schedule page, AMSAT's Twitter account, AMSAT News Service bulletins, and the AMSAT web site. That will surely end up on other web sites - for example, ARRL regularly picks up AMSAT News Service items for its web site and other ARRL outlets like the ARRL Letter.

KD9LTQ and WE4B like this.
  6. K6LCS

Slept through most of that. Bottom line, what I wrote was one hundred per cent correct. That AMSAT-NA page does NOT show the precise time of the 1.2GHz change that was announced on the Twitter feed 24 hours or so ago - period. That change was announced on the Twitter account.

7. WD9EWK

Not really sleeping. You received the e-mail notification of my post, and you had to respond. Back to that "fixation" thing, Mr. Bradford.

fixation.jpg

The schedule page indicated that L/V would be switched on Saturday evening. Reading that, you should have realized that L/V and not U/V was active this morning. There was no need to embarrass yourself by trying to work AO-92 U/V when L/V was active. The schedule page doesn't have to list the exact time of the change, as that might not be known until the pass over the command station (normally at least 2 every evening, sometimes 3) and the availability of the command station's operator (normally Drew KO4MA) to make the change. In addition, if you looked at the Satellite Status page, you would have seen reports from two earlier passes this morning that L/V was active.

8. KG2C

KG2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it easiest to just read about it in the AMSAT mailing list, which has other useful information anyway.
    If I need to look it up I would go through the old emails. That health page link is also useful for the most up to date info.

K6LCS likes this.
  9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this really an issue? Real time posts are made on Twitter and there's the AMSAT status page. I don't see the big deal about this.

W5PFG and WD9EWK like this.
  10. WD9EWK

The "big deal" probably relates to having people watching him try to work AO-92 yesterday morning, most likely the 11am PDT (1800 UTC) pass that K7TAB and I were on in L/V mode, and not being able to join in. Not wanting to accept responsibility for ignoring the AMSAT resources that would have accurately indicated AO-92 was in L/V mode on a Sunday morning in southern California, he came to the online forums to complain. Mr. Bradford wants to dwell on not seeing on the schedule page when AO-92 went into L/V mode, but he does mention Twitter where the time AO-92 was put into L/V mode was reported:

https://twitter.com/AMSAT/status/1000578084599418880

Basically, knowing that the normal schedule sees AO-92 going into L/V mode on Saturday evenings over North America, the better assumption for a Sunday morning in southern California or anywhere in North America would have been that AO-92 was in L/V mode, not U/V mode. Or just consult the schedule to be reminded of that, the status page that showed reports from US-based stations on the two earlier passes yesterday morning, or that telemetry link where the status would have shown TRUE (meaning L/V is active).

73!

WE4B likes this.