Where to start? - Books? Courses? Online? Kits?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KI7MDI, Apr 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

It teaches coil winding tank circuit construction and detection.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

It's tough for us homebrewers these days.. Most of the JUNK STORES are gone, which was the source for most of the parts I needed to build stuff. Then radio shack bit the dust. Now I hafta order from DIGIKEY and MOUSEYWOUSER to get parts!!! I miss the days of going in the junk store with a tote and collecting all the parts I needed for a project.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

When I went to electronics school in the navy we had a lab that used a similar set.

Also check out online "navy neets"

Another very good site is "microwaves 101"

Rege

4. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah its all about perspective, back then you never had off the shelf mixer and oscillator modules, micro controllers and a bunch of other stuff that makes homebrewing now such a treat. I will never have the pleasure of making a drifty vfo stable, because I will never build one at a component level when I can grab an off the shelf module that is rock solid stable and has greater frequency range and is cheaper than building an analog vfo. Things are different, thats for sure.

5. KI7MDI

KI7MDI Subscriber QRZ Page

Update: I passed the General on the 15th (Yay!) Whew!

I am getting ready to head on vacation next week. I will be visiting family for 10 days, so I will have plenty of time to start watching videos and reading. I also plan on getting the PicoKeyer put together, along with the BitX40.

Thanks again for all the information.

WB0MPB likes this.
  6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some think those electronic labs are "kids toys" but a lot can be learned even ftom the simple experiments.

You can read or watch a video but actually doing it then playing with the circuit drives the information home.

7. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Randy if you want to contact me off list I can send the old radio handbooks in pdf.
    Although Bill Orr, W6SAI (SK) lived in a much different era, theory and basic electronics are the same now as then. Should you acquire the particular disease known as boat anchor-itus these books are invaluable .

Getting harder to find is the Navy publication "radioman 3 and 2". This was a rapid way of getting a Navy radioman up to speed.

and ...

Congratulations and welcome.

AF7XT Dennis

8. KF5GCL

KF5GCL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not the same as a junk shop, but I'm fond of http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/ . The "Surprise Boxes" are a really cheap supply of parts if you don't mind sorting them out.

KI7MDI likes this.