ad: Sussex-1

Where Never Is Heard... ARRL Board "Code of Conduct" on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly! We all have to make our own decision. Everyone has their own interests, and some use the resources more than others. If you use what you pay for, good for you. Rock on.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

THOUGHTS ON 'NEW' QST

I was able to get on the digital January issue.

Don't be fooled: this is the OLD QST --only built for hams in 2018. There is a great mix of 'build', 'operate' and 'guide'.

Think about the occasional pieces you liked over the last year. Add them together and put it in one issue. It's like a year of good stuff in ONE issue. And that's just ONE month.

THAT's the new QST.

Steve Ford, WB8IMY has done a great job reinventing QST AND the editor's job. My only complaint is Steve's description of the 'new' QST really doesn't prepare you for the reality.

Kudos!!

Chip W1YW

W0PV likes this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I mainly use the ARRL web based "products" and actually find the physical paper QST to be an unnecessary annoyance and expense. Would love them to offer an "paperless" electronic-only membership with a good discount.

This question was raised years ago in the ARRL's own online forum. There were ambiguous answers. The advertising appears in both the print and web media, so why should that matter? Does ad revenue only accrue from mailing the actual magazine?

NK2U and W4POT like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You might check the rate differential.

5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

In other words, you're not interested in anything other than self-flagellation and/or on-podcast hara-kiri. Got it.

6. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for explaining that to me. Because there is no longer anything between the poles.

My job as a video editor and audio engineer for 45 years means I've worked extensively on both advertising and public relations campaigns. Now I was just pushing the buttons, but that doesn't mean I was asleep. I saw how the sausage was made. And I see it in just about everything out there produced for public consumption. When, for example, someone calls something the "No Spin Zone" you can pretty much assume it's really "The Spin Zone."

I had former ARRL President Kay Cragie on the show a couple of years ago. She stuck pretty close to the script most of the time, though some more personal stuff was candid. At one point she said something about 'if you want to know the truth....'. I cautioned her (on the show) that whenever I hear someone assuring me that what they're saying is the truth, I'm at least suspicious that it's not. Is that all it takes to convince you?

Cynical? Realistic? Take your choice or fill in the blank.

More and more I'm willing to let other shows play you the sales pitch, the spin, the party line, the unboxing and the shiny new thing. I'll hunt for that rare element, authenticity. It usually comes with a generous helping of nuance and context.

NK2U, KF0G, AF6SA and 2 others like this.
  7. AG5CC

AG5CC Guest

I can't agree that there's nothing between the poles. On the contrary, I think the QRZ forum pages generally attract readers who are at one pole or the other of controversial issues . . . and not hesitant to express their disparate opinions. That does not mean, however, that there are no other opinions out there.

In my opinion, the ARRL historically has done great service to amateur radio by providing an infrastructure (technical evaluations, contests, events, LoTW, publications, etc.) for the hobby. I believe the question at hand is whether the ARRL leadership has become insular and excessively protective of its interests above the good of the organization (and no, I don't think they're necessarily the same thing). In many ways the League still performs valuable service to the ham community. But as I said in an earlier post, I expect transparency and respect from Newington, and I'm not convinced we're getting either.

For now, I will stay with the ARRL and hope (perhaps naively) that the ship can be righted before it suffers a self-inflicted hit below the water line.

de Charlie AG5CC

KF0G, KM4LKC, W0PV and 2 others like this.
  8. K6TIM

K6TIM Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys don't understand this is board member CODE OF "ETHICS" CONDUCT.Every board member must follow a set of guide lines as board members and employees.Lets say favortism towards a contract (taking bribes) is a law as well as a ethics violation!
    Why do you think otherwise? lets say having a open board meeting like the ARRL you not hiding any thing from members right? The code of conduct is for board member's to follow NOT members.What you say over the air is fine just keep it clean.
    Of course you can give your opuion as a board member. This is a free country,and anyone can comment on anything they like thats the law period in this country.
    Ok now that you know this there are board member rules of ethics you MUST follow them completely period!
    I'm the resident board member for public housing in the city of Tucumcari,New Mexico I have a code of ethics I MUST follow since I am a board member of the city,and federal goverment of (HUD) housing.THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT here!! A code of conduct for employees and BOARD MEMBERS that must be followed period!
    END OF STORY
    Timothy Durkin
    K6TIM
    Proud life member of the ARRL!

KK8MM, KF0G and N5PZJ like this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone knows and understands what it is, and who the code of conduct applies to for that matter. It's just that many people don't agree with the policies.

That's what everyone is talking about here.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    KF0G, WY7BG and AG5CC like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Code is being used to prevent the membership from understanding the factual basis --if any--for several recent decisions which seem at odds with the reality. For example, we know Bob, K3RF is a highly ethical person, yet he is being forbidden to run for Director because of an alleged "conflict of interest" that has never been stated to him. He has heard an assertion that he has a "conflict of interest" but no one will tell him what it is. Bob is a smart guy and a lawyer, so obviously he has no idea what they are talking about.

Does the ARRL Board?

He's asked: no answer.

Chip W1YW

AG5CC, KF0G and AF6SA like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim,

I am proud to be a ham, and as a member of the ARRL, proud of my association with most of my colleagues and their accomplishments. However, over recent months the ARRL Board of Directors and upper management have done some things which greatly diminish any pride in being associated with them.

Your response on this thread seems to indicate a lack of awareness of the issues. Here is a link to an essay that will bring you up to speed. After reading that any reaction you may have to the specifics would be appreciated.

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2017/12/cq-white-paper-on-arrl-secrecy-and.html

It illustrates the contrasts between the "sunshine" openness of your community housing board versus the non-transparency adopted by the ARRL and its subsequent abuses of a Code of Conduct and other powers of corporate governance.

73 de John - WØPV

NK2U, AG5CC, AF6SA and 1 other person like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are THREE tracers of problems, IMO:

1) the ELIMINATION of --3-- C-level positions at the ARRL with the timing apparently initiated with the (coincident?) seating of Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, as CEO;
    2) Clear issues of process and execution by the board and upper management;
    3) Invocation of a 'gag' order on board members.

Why, Why, and... (hold for it)...

WHY?

NK2U, AF6SA and W0PV like this.
  13. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe not but the ARRL sales rep by putting the ad there destroyed objectivity.
    Note: It is not 2003 anymore. The ARRL can be bought.

KF0G likes this.
  14. K1OIK

Who is we?

KF0G likes this.
  15. K1OIK

You actually edited something out of a video?

KF0G likes this.