ad: AbAuRe-1

Where Never Is Heard... ARRL Board "Code of Conduct" on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, only IF some of us ever get a chance to freely vote for Directors again :confused:

The cannibalistic elimination of the CTO position required a Bylaw board vote change too. Which came in 2017 after and amid the electoral and other Board heavy-handed shenanigans.

Would prefer they take a softer handed approach, disclose and diversify, and AVOID litigation. But that doesn't seem to be their present chosen course.

Sympathy is abundant with most of their employee's. I have worked for private start-up tech corporations with weak BoD's and suffered the consequences first hand.

Wish I could have made it over to my WCF convention last weekend to listen and perhaps talk with Mike KI1U but WX interfered. You can probably easily guess what my fav topic would have been. ;)

73, John, WØPV

PS - appreciate your "Uncle" Tom Kneitel rag / QST analogy! Fiddy five years ago reading Electronics Illustrated and Popular Electronics was a staple for me as WPEØERM.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    NK2U and W1YW like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Brennan is a great guy and is doing well in the commercial telecom sector. I am certain he was NOT asked to leave, but made a decision based on family needs. He did a great job across many jobs within the League and should have been --publicly--thanked for his service. If that happened, its news to me.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL has splintered to a variety of specific-segment publications, and in doing so, has left QST without a clear mission. Its a monthly hodgepodge of ...stuff. I read the ads.

I have not seen the Jan issue because I cant sign in for my digital copy. Go figure.

NK2U likes this.
  4. K2CIB

K2CIB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K5UR was the right place to go. As someone else put it, "...silence speaks volumes." The buck stops there. And, we do not elect him; the directors do.

NK2U likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

K5UR is a smart guy and very pro ham-radio. One possibility to consider is that he has to manage a goat rodeo, and cat herd, whether he likes it or not.

[​IMG]

6. WH7WP

WH7WP Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WH7WP

ARRL Non-Profit Status and then they have the nerve to charge more for membership like QST or THEIR Representation in DC is worth anything to the average Ham. THEY priced Me out of THEIR Club and ya know, I've been getting along just fine without THEM.

HEY ARRL ! YOU DON'T REPRESENT ME SO STOP AND GO AWAY ! (whats that crummy presidents name?)

NK2U likes this.
  8. WH7WP

And then they charge more for the membership that sprinkles crumbs to members and calls that superior representation in DC. President HOGWASH needs to step down. Do we have a Re-Call Option?

NK2U likes this.
  9. WH7WP

HORSEHOCKEY ! ARRL DON'T REPRESENT ME. THEY PRICED ME OUT OF ARRL MEMBERSHIP. I'M ON A LIMITED INCOME. ARRL BOARD AND CURRENT PRESIDENT SUX. AND IF YOU SUPPORT THEM YOU JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE. WAKE UP!

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is, you don't have a choice. They may not represent your ideals, or the ideals of the vast majority of hams, but they will still say they represent all of ham radio, and nobody will question it.

11. AG5CC

AG5CC Guest

The problems won’t be solved by screaming (in all caps) and making ad hominem attacks on individuals. We ARRL members need to insist on transparency and respect from the ARRL leadership for the members they’re supposed to serve, and, if that’s not forthcoming, seek alternatives.

It remains to be seen whether the ARRL has outlived its usefulness or can recreate itself into an organization suitable for the 21st century.

de Charlie AG5CC

N2AMM, NK2U and W1YW like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again,

I strongly urge to support the League, as I do. That doesn't mean there aren't problems at the leadership level, that indeed need to be addressed and corrected.

An organization that does not agree that mistakes are made is one that is setting itself on a path to make fatal ones. That's MO. Your may differ.

W0FS likes this.
  13. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am actually a member of the ARRL. I don't really care about the political side, although it does annoy me a little when an organization claims to 'speak for me' without asking me what to say. The issue for me is that in the past few years the cost has surpassed the value. I don't get enough in return to justify the cost. It's really that simple. I think there are a lot of people who are at that tipping point, regardless of any of the other issues.

NK2U, ND6M and W1YW like this.
  14. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Current rate (which has increased over past years) is $49/year...$0.94/week. That includes a monthly magazine delivery.

I subscribe to Time, which is weekly at $30/year (much smaller magazine, although I do read all of it); and also to Newsweek, which is $72/year; and also to Maxim (monthly) for $18/year; and also to Consumer Reports (monthly) at $30/year...and on and on. I don't even notice the cost of League membership and would probably pay the $49 just for the magazine although I mostly read it (and especially browse back issues, frequently) on line.

But I've been an ARRL "Diamond Club" member for a long time, and that costs more: In return you get a thank you note and a calendar!:)

Can they possibly represent "me?" Of course not. But they offer some excellent services and the on-line archives alone are worth it to me, and available only to members. I don't need any code practice, but use their CP transmissions on HF to help determine band conditions in a few seconds. I buy some of their publications (Handbooks and such). I've participated in many of their operating events (Field Day and contests, sometimes even SKN). I've enjoyed attending their Regional conferences. I guess I "use it up," for all it's worth.:p

WA8FOZ and N2SUB like this.
  15. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too.
    I think they will never get any more money from me.

NK2U likes this.