Where Never Is Heard... ARRL Board "Code of Conduct" on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Dec 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. Maybe that was a bad example...I meant the ARRL could petition congress and use "The voice of ham radio" to try to have a bill crafted that would ban dipole antennas...and all we could do is watch. So maybe that example is a stretch.

Now that there's a lot more information available on the proposed Appendix B, or the Code of Conduct, it's clear that there are bigger problems than just the number of people voting. :) But, I'm backing out of that discussion. I've written to all Directors and Vice-Directors with my concerns, and those concerns have been validated. I've shared some ARRL links and taken my lumps here on the Zed (not the first time! LOL), and now it's time to play the waiting game. We'll see what happens Friday. I've been a member of the ARRL for 25 years, but based on the outcome of Friday's meeting, I don't know what the future holds. Everyone will make their own decision, and I hope the ARRL continues to thrive in the coming years with or without me, but that's really up to them.

2. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

I very much doubt anyone is taking money from the HOA lobbyists. The HOAs don't like this bill, either - but they also have more political power than we hams do.
    The problem here is that no one ever gets everything they want on bills like this. Hams want complete freedom for antennas. HOAs want no antennas. What actually ends up is somewhere in between the two desires. And since it is hams trying to change the status quo, we have an uphill battle. Compounding that with having less political power and this bill is probably the best that can get passed. The ARRL could try to get a stronger bill, but it wouldn't get through Congress.

KC8VWM and N5PZJ like this.
  3. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

As regards HOAs: One of the most important tactics in any tough negotiation is to ask for more than you expect to get. My main critique of the ARRL's performance in this regard is that it is asking for far too little; the draft legislation could allow HOAs to prohibit hams from operating. (Ironically, they'd be endangering life and limb in a disaster for the sake of aesthetics, but that is what HOAs often do.) The law needs more clearly delineated requirements for what MUST be allowed under ALL circumstances. It should allow AT LEAST as much as the FCC's OTARD rules for satellite dishes and TV antennas, as well as all thin wire antennas within a property (so that HOAs cannot preclude operation at the longer wavelengths that are vital to long range communications). Given hams' recent performance in natural disasters such as the two recent hurricanes, this should be an easy sell to Congress.

4. WH7WP

WH7WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Yes I DO! I Don't Have To Support THEM. I Vote With My Wallet And You Should Too.

ND6M likes this.
  5. WH7WP

WH7WP Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see I am wasting my time with you.