ad: rfparts

Where is the HF digital modes activity?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W0BTU, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to enjoy operating PSK31 about 9 or 10 years ago. I think there are now superior modes (Olivia?), but I've tuned around and hear nothing but SSB and CW.

Am I correct in assuming that there is little or no digital activity on HF anymore? I'm beginning to think that; this question has been posted before and received no replies.

TIA.

2. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all..

Not sure that question has been asked before but I guess most at times have thought the same thing...

Half the problem is the tuning around and listening, with digital sometime you have to try and make the activity by putting out calls...

I know there is Jt65a on most bands not really a QSO mode, Olivia I know there is activity on 20m around 14106.5 and I have of late been chatting to Florida of an evening using Olivia on 30m..

I think from what I have seen is that some are moving away from PSK31 as it seems to be make a contact and move on...no chat,,not much different than JT65. But the newer modes capture more interest at the moment.....goes around in a cycle I guess.

And propagation has not been the best but has improved considerably this year.

So put the calls out on the Calling freq. of the mode your using and if you have it use the RSID on the software so people know what mode and where you are, makes life a little easier for others.

And I just looked on HamSpots.net and there seems to be quite a few PSK31 contacts going on...30m anyway.

John

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. N5USR

N5USR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've recently started listening to PSK again, and there's been plenty of activity on 20, 30 and 40M. The Wikipedia entry for PSK has the "common frequencies" for that:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSK31#Common_Frequencies

I've been pleasantly surprised to find quite a few actual conversations going on when I listened, last time I had things hooked up it was probably 99% "here's my garbage-filled macro, 73s, who's next?"

I always have trouble finding anyone using the OTHER modes. RTTY is pretty easy, but it's rare that I find Olivia (the only one I recognize easily) and if I stumble across something else they're usually gone before I can figure out what mode they're using.

4. KB3UET

KB3UET Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been working a lot of psk-31 and RTTY the past few months. I find psk-31 on 20m around 14.070.00 and rtty can range anywhere from 14.080.00 to 14.092.00 all in usb. 20m was open last night till I turn the radio off at around 9 o'clock est. Hope this helps.

5. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the help! :)

6. M0MVB

M0MVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Spent the night working VK, ZL, JA, TG9, CO,K & W stns all on 14.070 psk31,
    also heard some South American stns on 28.128
    Had a check and there was loads of digi modes in use, try these frequencies, 3.580 psk, 7.038 psk, 10.140 psk, 14.070 psk, 14.084 RTTY, 18.100, 21.070, this is from uk tho

7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike try JT65HF not A it is a different mode and is really fun a dipole and even QRP and work DXCC by the end of the year at least.

Check it out a good read and lots of support and online frequency's for the bands plus works up to 20 db below noise floor. I can't wait till winter for 160 to come in and run it there some are already starting but to early.

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Try HamSpots.Net Real time frequencies and modes.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been kind of wondering about it too. I used to do PSK31 but I got tired of macros. I liked MFSK-16 but I don't see much activity any more. I think all the people who would have been inclined to use MFSK have gone to Olivia. I don't like Olivia. I don't feel right using up 500 Hz to 1000 Hz when I can get the same QSO (and faster) using narrower modes. I know everyone praises Olivia for being "robust" whatever the heck that means, but most of the time I don't need "robust", I need "fast enough that I don't fall asleep".

Has anyone tried Throb or Thor? The modes are available in my software but I've never actually used them or even seen them used. What would be the "considerate operator's" etiquette - move up a kHz or two from the PSK baseline ?

10. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you download HRD/DM780 and set DM780 up to show the modes just above the waterfall you will see all the frequencies for each mode listed.

The bands will be shown and you simply take the mouse cursor and move it to the band when the software is set for a mode. IE Olivia, 3.577 and 3.582 (mainly found on 3.582)

This makes it easy to find the right spots on the bands for different modes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.