ad: k1jek

Where do you guys buy tubing to make antennas?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KG2C, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG2C

KG2C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I built a nice looking Yagi to work sats with a full duplex radio, but the elements are made of copper and so bend easily and the antenna is heavy.
    Click to see the full picture:
    [​IMG]

I would like to rebuild it from something lighter, like aluminum. I bought some called "hobby tubing" but that is also very soft and bends easily. Where do you guys buy more rigid aluminum tubing with a small diameter? Or maybe other metal tubing suitable for satellite antennas.
    I saw some places for larger diameter but haven't had luck with anything around 1/4'.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. W9EXP

W9EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Walmart sporting dept arrows they go on sale after season

KG2C likes this.
  3. KG2C

Something like this?

4. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Brazing rod at Home Depot or Lowe's

5. W9EXP

W9EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I find them after season for a dollar and change a piece don't need the high end ones. On the plus side they are already threaded.

6. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if this helps but check any local scrap yard.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the reviews on that link says these arrows are fiberglass. So, no.

9. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ace hardware has 1/2" aluminum tubing in 8' sections

10. KG2C

I guess that's something that's not on the website :) I'll have to go to a physical Walmart. It might be a good opportunity to combine it with WMPLOTA.

Mcmaster seems like they have a great selection although not the cheapest, compared to discounted arrows. The copper I used was less than $10 and replacing it with aluminum from Mcmaster will be more than $50 w/o shipping.

Btw fiberglass is an option (although not the best) because I have 3M copper tape with conductive adhesive. It's certainly more work to wrap it around each rod but it could work.