ad: wmr-1

Where can you buy higher voltage hookup wire?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W0BTW, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W0BTW

W0BTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone know where you can buy a selection of hookup wire (20-22 ga stranded and solid) with a voltage rating higher than 300 volts? I want to rewire some of my boat anchor transmitters that run 5-600 volts and more. It would be great to be able to buy an assortment of colors rather than having to buy rolls one at a time. Please tell me this is not a dream....Hi
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IME, it's not a dream. This file (attached) from Alpha Wire may help you know what to look for. Searching "600V hookup wire" on Google Shopping, I see lots of possibilities.

Attached Files:

3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking for the same thing back in January. I only found single color HV wire on one of the smaller suppliers. Recently I saw a suggestion to use clear hose e.g. PVC over regular wire and examples were given including some old Collins equipment that did this.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

aka "spaghetti sleeving". Wire is widely available with various insulation types, rated up to 300V. 600V-rated insulation is not as common (and not as inexpensive) but still can be found. Expect to pay a premium for that, if you want 19-strand silver plated w/ PTFE insulation. 7-strand tin-plated w/ PVC insulation will be a lot less expensive.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if this helps, but when I run cables I put a short piece of the same color shrink over each end for ID.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  6. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

RadioDaze ( ) carries varnished, cloth-covered
    wire in both solid and stranded 22 gauge, and in several colors with a 600 volt rating. They added
    it to the catalog several years due to requests for hookup wire with a higher voltage rating.

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Alpha, Belden, and other wire mfg. do make 600 V insulation hook-up wire.
    Vacuum tube parts suppliers often have in stock.

It is usually more expensive than common 300 V, PVC insulation hook-up wire.
    There is also PTFE insulated hookup wire, some versions rated at 1,000 V or greater.

You can purchase from electrical distributors, plus McMaster-Carr.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of HV PTFE insulated stranded and solid conductor here, cheaply:

Most is available "by the foot."
  9. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are loads of wire out there that have a 600V rating. We use it all the time at the cement plant I work at. We have 480V 3 phase. We use THHN PVC insulation rated at 600V. The PTFE stuff is slick, really, and it can be a pain to strip if your strippers are not just right.
    McMaster Carr has THHN and you can buy 100ft spools for under $14. Check it at;
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is that 300 volt wire will stand much more. Maybe the mfr did not see a need for a higher rating, or didn't want to spend extra time and money to get it.

I checked some very old AWM (appliance wiring material) PVC wire rated 105 degrees C. No marked voltage rating.

I wrapped aluminum tape around a section and put 3kv dc on it for an hour, then 5kv for a few seconds. No breakdown.

This test doesn't take into account long-term corona (ozone) problems, which I don't think would be a problem at 600 volts.

I would not be afraid to use your wire at 600v, especially with typical ham use. This assumes that a breakdown would not be a personal safety problem.

. Ins Test.JPG
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.