ad: elecraft

When you least expect it--Your radio CAN help!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE6ENI, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AF6NI

AF6NI Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't think of San Diego county as "remote" but i was also camped last week in our desert out of cell range although in a County park. There is a pay phone at the ranger station but it was out of service. My only local communication was also through a 2m repeater (147.240.)

I have a heart condition and was happy to know that at least the repeater and HF were there in an emergency.
    Joe

2. N6MJS

N6MJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job, keep your radio handy when all the chips and M&M's are gone. I am well stocked. Been to Shriner Camp - not that far out, but far enough.

Mike
    N6MJS

3. KB0TKZ

KB0TKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was this supposed to be sarcastic? People did survive in our world before cell phones were invented, in fact before land lines were invented, and in fact even before radio and telegraph were invented.

4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

People knew how to survive. As a society we have lost these skills. Take away the grocery store, give a man a knife, a dog and when he finishes feeling sorry for himself and gets hungry enough, that dog is stew. Instead of using the knife to build shelter, make snares or traps for small game and keep the dog for companionship, warmth and as the very last resort supper.

Indeed, how did man survive? Very skillfully........

In this particular case there were sick children, and that is another can of worms entirely.

5. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Out here in the lower peninsula of Mi. there is a very good canoeing river The Rifle. Every summer we watch as the tender-feet tourists start complaining that their high tech. stuff does not work while down on the river. No body is in real danger they could stand up and walk the trip if they wanted/needed. There are several thousands of sq. miles in this country that due to terrain do not get Cell Service even the Sat. phones do not work in all areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.