What's your favorite boatanchor?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AI3V, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5LEL

W5LEL Ham Member QRZ Page

boat anchors

kwm-2a and i'm looking forward to getting mu 30L1 going with it.
    K5DJZ

2. PA3JD

PA3JD Ham Member QRZ Page

With no doubt, my four boatanchors are the best rigs at both sides of the Chinese wall: my two FT101ZD MkIII, the FT101E with the excellent receiver in it, and last but not least: the Kenwood TS820.
    I use them since I got my license in 2008 and although they have worked for decades, they still do in an outstanding way. Meet me with CW on 20.
    View them at QRZ.com and see what I'm talking about.73 to all of you.
    Joop-PA3JD

3. WW2S

WW2S Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't even know what brand this kit was. I built it in 1982. But it is my favorite :)
    (i get a link box when I try to upload)
    http://tinyurl.com/yfsqruc

4. AD5ND

AD5ND Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only had a few rigs, but my favorite was the Drake T-4x and R-4 twins. The finals should have been 6146's instead of the 6jb6's. They could have used a better quality wafer switches and tube sockets. But very few boat anchors of that vintage can be used almost any frequency from 1.5 to 30 mhz. If the fcc decides to open a new band, with just one crystal the drakes will operate there.

5. AA4HA

AA4HA Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite boat-anchor was my first radio back in the 70's. A Hammarlund SP-200 with it's gigantic companion power supply.

I have lots of newer radios SP-600's R-390A's and an R-220 but the SP-200 was the dependable radio that lived in a shelf in the closet. I could listen to HCJB Quito Equator at night and Radio Australia in the morning.

I had this old wooden horn speaker that was already an antique when the SP-200 was made before WW II. It was a great setup and I miss that radio.

6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Favorite is only one, NC-57 ( to sell )

Folks,
    My favorite boatanchor is the National NC-57 receiver that I need to sell. Twice, folks have replied to the for sale forum here at QRZ. They ask why I do not post photographs. They fail to look at what happens regarding posts and photos:
    1. There is a maximum size photo that can be uploaded, set by QRZ, the last time that I tried my high-res. photo was denied.
    2. The minute that someone asks for information, everyone assumes that the item is sold or in process.
    I do have the rig, which belonged to a friend I will call C.J. Thompson. He asked that I try to do something with it. Since I moved and am between employers, I have had better things to do. If you do not, this could be your next project. ( KE0ZU, are you reading this? )-
    -73 de KB0MNM:)

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MNM:

Just use any of the many graphics programs and reduce both the size and the resolution of your photograph. Frankly, anything larger than about 6 inches wide is a waste. Also, although I prefer to use 300 dpi even 72 dpi will look fine.

Glen, K9STH

8. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Without question my favorite oldie was the HRO-60 I had for about ten years( As for using it on the air, it was used as a companion to my Viking l on ten meter AM, and 80 CW...However as my major SWL receiver for years, (paired with a BC221 frequency standard) It was unbeatable. My favorite operating Boatanchors are my Drake 'B' line, and my Drake 2B and 2NT rigs...:)

9. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought myself an RCA AR88LF yesterday. It's in fair state, considering its age. Needs some adjusting so I'm looking for manuals, diagrams etc. I've downloaded all from the BAMA archives, but that's no very much. If anyone has more info, I'd appreciate it!

10. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

I bought a 75A1 for the asking price of $125 around 1988. It was in fine shape except for needing the paperr caps replaced, which I did. It was a fine receiver; its only fault was passing through my hands before BA gear turned to gold. I ended up GIVING it away a couple of years later.

I also had a 32V ten years earlier. At least I got my money back on the transmitter; I bought AND sold it for the same $20!!. Today of course those two together would be worth a small mint.

I too did the guns, motorcycles and cameras (I even majored and got my degree in photography during the age of film.) In my case, my health has made conntining such pursuits imprractical. My entire collection of ham gear consists of my Kenwood TS480, and a 1970 vintage Motorola HT200 Handie-Talkie on 29.6 MC that I will never use again now that I can no longer speak. (Good thing I like CW, huh?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.