What's your favorite boatanchor?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AI3V, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7OET

WA7OET Moderator QRZ Page

Inside showing new caps:

2. WA7OET

WA7OET Moderator QRZ Page

Inside top... nice and clean:

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Favorite band cruiser:

BC348Q

[​IMG]

Restored using wrinkle finish. Preserved original lettering, markings during the process using a toothpick and silly putty formed to mask the lettering before painting. Handles stripped down to bare brass and polished using jewelers polish and a Dremmel tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember that's "Megacycles" not "Megahertz" :)

4. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

I'm sure there are better receivers out there but a personal favourite was the 1938 Hammarlund HQ120. My brother gave me his when i turned 14. What an improvement over the Halliscrachers SX140 (also visibld in thw photo) I'd used from the start!

I later traded the 120 toward my first SSB rig, a Halliscratchers FPM300. That was a mistake on many levels. I decided after a couple of weeks that I didn't care for HF SSB and the rig was useless on CW, It was also just a dog in general. My HQ120 was gone and I've never had another.

My shack in the summer of 1976:

[​IMG]

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the newest item which can be considered a boat anchor?

I've owned a number of hybrid rigs over the years and still have an FT901DM, TS-820S and related accessories for each at my operating position.

Do those count?

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YX:

Not really! The "basic" requirement to be a "boat anchor" is that the unit uses primarily tubes (both receiver and transmitter). Solid-state power supplies (i.e. uses silicon rectifiers) are generally acceptable but little else being solid-state.

Of course how big a "boat" that can be anchored depends on the individual model. For example, a Hallicrafters HT-4/BC-610 can anchor an aircraft carrier, a Hallicrafters HT-20 and a WRL Globe champion 350 can anchor a battleship, down to a Heath DX-20 which can anchor a PT Boat!

Glen, K9STH

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me see if I can dig up some pics of my HQ-180AC and GSB-100 combo. Used to set the Hammarlund's clock to turn the rig on about half an hour before I was due home from school, and through a relay arrangement it also turned on the Gonset. The rigs would be nice and warmed up - not drifting - when I got to the shack.

8. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite Boatanchor

While working for Northrop/Wilcox in the mid '70's I was introduced to the Hallicrafters SR series. I was so taken with the gear I went out and got my ham ticket. I have been obsessed with the series ever since. Now that I am retired I spend 10 to 30 hrs a week resurrecting rigs from attics and chicken houses. The series includes the SR-150, SR-160, SR-400 CYCLONE, SR-400 CYCLONE II, SR-400A CYCLONE III, SR-500 and the SR-2000. I have one of each in the shack. When ever I finish a restore I compare it to the one in the shack and keep the best pass on the other.

Attached Files:

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss my BC-610! It was simply too big for me to handle and restore so I had to get rid of it. I feel good that it went to a good home. The new owner did a proper and full restoration and I've heard it on the air! He's been looking for one in the area for years. I rescued it from going to the trash heap.

My fav so far has been my Hallicrafters station, SX-101 and HT-32. It's a great pair to work with. I've got the matching linear and the SX-62. Rating up there with it is the HW-16. I used one in my novice days when I first got my license, which was lent to me. A decade or so later I eventually bought one and I put it on the air now and then.

I enjoy my hammarlund SW receivers, they nice to listen to. I've got the 180, 129x and a Super Pro (got that for $9!!).

10. W8IXY

W8IXY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Boatanchors

Ones I still have:
    Johnson Viking Valiant
    Heathkit DX100B
    Hammarlund HQ 180A

Ones I used to have:
    Heathkit DX20
    Heathkit DX35
    Hammarlund HQ 110
    Knight Kit Space Spanner
    Several 1940's era console radios with shortwave bands. (I discovered WWV at a pre "ten" age on an old Stromberg-Carlson)

Semi- Boatanchors I still have:
    Kenwood TS 830S
    Kenwood TS 940S
    Kenwood R5000

Plus, does anyone consider "pieces parts" as nostalgic Boat Anchor material? I still have some components removed from old gear, as well as various pieces of "junque" that elicit great memories.

Ted W8IXY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.