What's your "bad dealing/worst" experience

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB9YFI, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought 2 radios on ebay. The first was an old HTX-202. The seller said it came with a NiCd battery but when I got it there was no charging plug to plug the charger into. It was an alkaline holder with DEAD batteries in it. The seller made good and bought me a stock battery and sent it. Too bad as I had already bought one from Mr. Nicad. Now I have 2 for an HT that I use now for a packet rig...

The second one I bought was from a woman who was selling off her late husbands stuff. She didn't know much about it (Alinco DR605TQ) at all except that she was pretty sure it worked. I got it for a deal and it was never mobile and had the extended Rx/Tx mod done to it. Looked like it just came out of the box! It did, she shipped it in the original box.

Only problem is when the SK clipped the blue wire to do the mod he did not reinsulate the wire and one of the ends had a bit of strands hanging out and shorting to chassis and I was having this intermittent Tx lock-up problem. I insulated the wires and did a complete reset and the problem went away almost 100% It did do it once after that but never again. Don't know why... That was a really great radio that others were afraid to bid on so the price was LOW, LOW, LOW!

Sometimes you have to take a chance and trust people. That's the price you pay for getting a bargain. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Jim - Kb9YFI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.