ad: TinyPaddle-1

What's the Difference Between SMA and TNC Connector

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by BH6PJL, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0NXM

K0NXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many folks don't realize that if the physical connections (threads or bayonet) are discarded, the internal parts of the BNC, TNC, and N-type connectors are the same dimensions.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

A N connector will plug into a BNC just fine. Great for a quick connect.

3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

TNC connectors are used on almost every AIS transponder to connect the GPS antenna.

4. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite. An N-connector uses an air-dielectricum around the pin. So if you were able to "interconnect" a BNC and an N-connector, you'd have a serious impedance bump at GHz frequencies by inserting teflon in that part of the transmission line, thus changing it's impedance.

5. AL7X

AL7X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a UHF duplexer here that is TNC. The SMA vs SMA-RP is exemplified by Yaesu vs everyone else. I think the manufactuers are standard SMA, but one has female radios, and the other has male radios, thus
    the rubber duckies do not swap. Yaesu broke the mold, as Motorola had it one way years before. AFAIK, Yaesu is the only different ham manufacturer, everyone else follows Motorola. Personally, I think that
    SMA does not belong in ham equipment because the connectors are really not field repairable. You have to cut off the cable and swedge in a new connector. TNC can be bought in tool-less versions.

6. K4TTZ

K4TTZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is correct. 2.4Ghz license free has a limit on gain and this was an attempt to maintain that limit.

7. K4TTZ

K4TTZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct, just because it will fit, doesn't mean that it will work properly. The dielectric interface differences will make it useless at higher frequecies.

8. KF5BCX

KF5BCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Love these connector discussions. My first job out of college was at Amphenol RF in Danbury, CT. So many stories nobody wants to hear, but it was when USA manufacturing was still going strong with little challenge. We had 2 plants, East Franklin St (downtown) and Commerce Park (outside the city). One day, one of the company trucks wrecked on I-84 and spilled PL259 shells all over the highway. I remember management was very afraid of the coming fiber optic revolution that was going to wipe out demand for coaxial cable and connectors. We experimented with metal F/O connectors first, starting with a modified SMA that you had to polish with a fixture and fine grit papers after epoxying, It had a special "ferrule" pin in the center to accept the optical fiber. Later we worked on plastic connectors with less labor required to align snd prepare the fibers for a good connection. Coax products grew without the fiber optic doomsday envisioned.

9. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard of highway connectors, but usually they aren't PL-259s. Maybe E-470s?
    Doomsday or not, I wish more fiber connectors WERE metal. I encounter too many flimsy plastic ones.

10. KH6GJS

KH6GJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are they any more difficult to terminate than bnc’s?

11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Terminate in what way? The connectors go on the cable just like BNC. Once on, the male connector screws onto the female connector just like a type N, but smaller diameter.