ad: Halibut-1

What's the Difference Between SMA and TNC Connector

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by BH6PJL, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

RP as in reverse polarity / pin SMA connectors. Quite common Chinese radios.

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never seen it. Not on ham radios. Do you have a model number?

K8AI likes this.
  3. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Reverse-pinned connectors were developed SPECIFICALLY for Part 15 unlicensed gear. While it's possible to use them on anything, I'd be quite surprised to see them on any ham radio!

K8AI and AE8W like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The only requests I see for TNC's is DOD folks.

KA9UCE and KA2CZU like this.
  5. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

SMA also means: Subminiature, Type A.
    Two designers came up with the vast majority of our current lineup of connectors, Paul Neil and C aarl Concelman, hence the names, BNC, TNC Etc..
    Omni-Spectra developed the SMA connector for use at microwave frequencies.
    The wrench flats do not indicate you crank down on these..just the opposite, the max torque is measured in inch ounces. Too much torque, and you distort the pins, destroying the return loss.

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. KA9UCE

PL-259 connectors are junk, I changed them at every opportunity.
    And yes, TNC connectors were a high use item in cellphones 'in the beginning'..Too bad their use faded.
    To make them better, they should have a gasket added....

KR3DX likes this.
  7. KA9UCE

Attached Files:

8. KA9UCE

The same SMA used in my shirt pocket portable. That has been its home for 10 years now.
    Yaesu VX-3R, great radio made better by proper alignment in the service menu!

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good ones are not junk. I do try avoid using them outdoors without being sealed real good.

Try using a SMA outdoors and see how long it lasts. Just the wind blowing could break it.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. AE4JA

AE4JA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BUT... the Yaesu radios are >NOT< RP SMA connectors. And if I remember correctly, the ChiCom HT's have standard SMA connectors too, they just put the male threaded end on the "rubber ducky" instead of on the radio like Yaesu. Still standard SMA, just reversed in application...

11. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are still used on Harris 7oo, 8oo and 900 MHz mobile radios such as the M5300, M7300 and Unity mobiles.

K0PV/SK2023 and K7JEM like this.
  12. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

My BridgeCom BCH-270 has the pin on the radio side and the female on the antenna side, I only realized this when I bought a Diamond replacement antenna, they made both types though thankfully.

13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

But it's probably a regular SMA, not an RP SMA.

14. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure there have been many radio and antenna connectors screwed up, Trying to force connect 2 males together.

15. KG5KPU

KG5KPU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

very common in the aerospace industry.