ad: dxeng

What's a working generator add to RV value?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AA3EE, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

We're considering selling our RV. We posted it last year and got lots of hits, then decided to keep it. 90% of those responding to the add asked if the generator worked.

The RV is a 1990 Coachmen class C. The generator is a 3KW Onan in good shape.

We haven't needed a generator at home (yet), but I'd hate to give up a compact, mostly quiet, generator just to make a few extra bucks on the RV.

So any thoughts on how much value the generator adds to our asking price?

Thanks
    Dave AA3EE

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Much would depend on the type of camping for your prospective buyer. Would say at least 90% of the time there is electricity in the parks I frequent. Last week was an example of a state park that had no electric at the site. The weather was such that there was no need for the air conditioner and refrigeration was handled by coolers. Propane was on board for cooking. Would think that a working generator would enhance your ability to sell the motorhome.

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to say but having just sold my 2011 fifth wheel, I would think that your RV has very little market value as it’s 29 years old. RVs depreciate faster than yesterday’s donuts, and dealers here won’t even touch an RV over 10 or 12 years old for a trade or consignment. If the generator is the same age, then it probably isn’t worth much on the market either. I doubt the generator or any other accessory will make much of a difference in price, though it might add to “curb appeal”.

Since presumably you took care of the generator and apparently think it’s reasonably reliable, why not keep it if you think you might need it?

K0UO and ND6M like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it run today if you try to start it ? Is it electric start ?

Does it run off of the RV fuel tank ? Is it housed in the back compartment of the RV ?

These things can increase the price of the RV.

Good Luck on your sale.

K0UO likes this.
  5. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's integrated into the RV, mid ship belly, fueled from the RV tank. Push button start from the cabin.
    I'm trying to figure out if it adds enough value that we could replace it if necessary with the extra money we'd make. If it only adds $500 to the value of the RV but costs $2K to replace...

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Average retail for 1990 Coachman base around $4k. If the gen works great.

7. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Your generator might be worth more than your RV, however you may never sell the RV without having a generator in it.
    Most people certainly wouldn't buy a class C coach without one. And since yours was integrated into the unit, it's like cutting the heart out of it.

N0TZU likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good point.

K0UO likes this.