What was your *very* first antenna starting out?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by AD7N, Jan 12, 2011.

What was your *very* first antenna starting out?

1. ortable VHF/UHF antenna: HT "rubber duckie" short antenna

88 vote(s)
  2. Portable VHF/UHF antenna: larger detached antenna (rolled up j-pole, 5/8 whip, Arrow II Yagi, etc)

33 vote(s)
  3. Base VHF/UHF station: J-pole antenna/ SlimJim antenna or varient

30 vote(s)
  4. Base VHF/UHF station: commercial vertical

23 vote(s)
  5. Base VHF/UHF station: other (please list below!)

15 vote(s)
  6. HF Station: G5RV antenna

36 vote(s)
  7. HF Station: Dipole of some kind

208 vote(s)
  8. HF Station: Loop of some kind

8 vote(s)
  9. HF Station: other (please list below!)

91 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
  1. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

What was your first antenna starting out?
  2. AJ4JQ

AJ4JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was (and still is) a ladderline-fed dipole strung between two trees at about 70 feet. It's about 110 ft. long. It works amazingly well, and I've never had any problems with it. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a new antenna.

73, Frances / AJ4JQ
  3. W5MBB

W5MBB Ham Member QRZ Page

my 100 foot long extention cord. I used it for a few days until i went down and got me some wire to build a loop
  4. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Very first true HF antenna was a fan dipole for 40m/20m. Before that, I had an SWL antenna which I took a coil of wire, ran it around the 4 corners of the ceiling and left the rest of the coil dangling in random fashion. Worked okay for 80m receive!
  5. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

Base VHF/UHF other. I used my old 102" steel whip CB Antenna hooked it up to my radio via a piece of coax from my CB days. I then zipped tied it to the lilac bush outside the shack.:eek: I then Used my Radio Shack Ham/CB SWR meter and began trimming. It worked great for awhile until I could afford a real antenna and the weather let me get on the roof
  6. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

A ground plane
  7. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

My first ham antenna was a welding rod ground plane. I've since made antennas from all sorts of salvaged junk. Mostly odd stuff like weed-eater shaft tubing and other "off-the-wall"junk.
  8. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was a 40 meter folded dipole only about 15 feet above the ground, running east to west on a 40 ft tree in front of the house on the street in the west to about 30 ft up the telco pole on the east alley.

Running 50 watts AM input from a WRL Globe Scout xmtr & Hallicrafters SX100 rcvr from NW Illinois. I talked as far as Imperial Valley, CA around 1957. :)
  9. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

75 meter Dipole

Made out of copper-weld stuff .

A balun fed with 9913 coax .

It worked fine on 40 meters where I cut my CW teeth ( as a NOVICE ) !

We do not have a Novice ( class beginner ) license anymore , that is too bad .

Cool. :cool:

10. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Before we knew any better, a random-length end-fed wire, using the house wiring as the "ground".
  11. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to run a 40 meter dipole on both 40 and 15. The books said I could! But I sweat bullets until I figured out that ground loading effects were giving me fits trying to get resonance on both bands. Finally cut it slightly short for 40 and was happy with it being "slightly long" on 15. What a lesson to learn !
  12. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey get down wid da dipole massive!!! :D
  13. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Second-hand Hy-Gain triband vertical (thanks K7BRW). He also sold me his SX-99.
  14. WW7F

WW7F Guest

10 meter yagi from Lafayette Electronics:)

I remember my first real antennas, first was a simple ground plane for 11 I used it on 10 and had a 3 el yagi I bought from Lafayette Electronics with my allowance money and yard service, worked well on 10 and one antenna I really wish I still had was a Mosley 11 or 10 meter minibeam,monoband with footprint of a TV antenna, best little 10 meter beam I had,if anyone has one they might wanna get rid of, I am interested:)
    Funny how I never got TVI complaints as told neighbors was a channel 2 yagi so we could pick up those weak tv stations;)
    73 everyone,Michelle:)
  15. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

160m Inverted-L. No radials - didn't understand what they were in those days.
    10W of AM/CW from a 5 valve (tube) home-built Tx, and an HRO senior RX.

I guess that dates me ;)

Steve G3TXQ
  16. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

40m folded dipole made of 300 Ohm TV twinlead.

No matter what I did, Radio Moscow was still every 5 kHz on my receiver.:p
  17. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

Imax 2000; worked 10-17m.
    See: QRZ Logbook . . .
  18. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I spent most of my life SWL'ing. For years I had a fifty foot longwire. When I moved ot Oregon I had a 450' longwire and zero noise level.
    When I became serious I put up a forty meter dipole. The first house had it up thirty feet off the ground and in the clear where I lived I had Zero noise. Connected to an SB-301 and a Drake R-4A with sort wave crystals in both anything out there that was hearable I heard it.
    I ended up moving four more times and that dipole became an inverted Vee and when I moved from here the first time it came down.
    When I moved back My first transmitting antenna was the one I have now my 135' doublet.
  19. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TH-G71A w/ rubber duck for first QSO.
  20. KA7PLE

KA7PLE Ham Member QRZ Page

First HF antenna

My first HF antenna was a Hybrid Mini Quad for 6, 10, 15 and 20M up about 35ft Worked great. Worked the world with CW on the Novice Bands. When they opened up 10M SSB to Tech+ I worked all over the world with my Kenwood TS-520 running right at 100W
    I also had a 40/80 trap dipole in a Horizontal V shape because it would not fit on our lot spread out strait. It was only up about 20Ft. but it worked ok.
    Fast Forward 27 years to today, I'm in an antenna restricted community Using a Chameleon V1 up about 12ft or so. Cant see it from the street unless you look really hard. I work mostly QRP CW, and my setup works good for a "portable" antenna. I have no problems making domestic contacts. Got Japan with this setup but lost him in the QRM. So I'm happy with it for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.