What was your *very* first antenna starting out?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by AD7N, Jan 12, 2011.

?

What was your *very* first antenna starting out?

1. ortable VHF/UHF antenna: HT "rubber duckie" short antenna

88 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Portable VHF/UHF antenna: larger detached antenna (rolled up j-pole, 5/8 whip, Arrow II Yagi, etc)

33 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Base VHF/UHF station: J-pole antenna/ SlimJim antenna or varient

30 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Base VHF/UHF station: commercial vertical

23 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Base VHF/UHF station: other (please list below!)

15 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. HF Station: G5RV antenna

36 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. HF Station: Dipole of some kind

208 vote(s)
    43.7%
  8. HF Station: Loop of some kind

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. HF Station: other (please list below!)

91 vote(s)
    19.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

What was your first antenna starting out?

2. AJ4JQ

AJ4JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was (and still is) a ladderline-fed dipole strung between two trees at about 70 feet. It's about 110 ft. long. It works amazingly well, and I've never had any problems with it. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a new antenna.

73, Frances / AJ4JQ

3. W5MBB

W5MBB Ham Member QRZ Page

my 100 foot long extention cord. I used it for a few days until i went down and got me some wire to build a loop

4. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Very first true HF antenna was a fan dipole for 40m/20m. Before that, I had an SWL antenna which I took a coil of wire, ran it around the 4 corners of the ceiling and left the rest of the coil dangling in random fashion. Worked okay for 80m receive!

5. K9ASE

K9ASE Subscriber QRZ Page

Base VHF/UHF other. I used my old 102" steel whip CB Antenna hooked it up to my radio via a piece of coax from my CB days. I then zipped tied it to the lilac bush outside the shack.:eek: I then Used my Radio Shack Ham/CB SWR meter and began trimming. It worked great for awhile until I could afford a real antenna and the weather let me get on the roof

6. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

A ground plane

7. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

My first ham antenna was a welding rod ground plane. I've since made antennas from all sorts of salvaged junk. Mostly odd stuff like weed-eater shaft tubing and other "off-the-wall"junk.

8. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was a 40 meter folded dipole only about 15 feet above the ground, running east to west on a 40 ft tree in front of the house on the street in the west to about 30 ft up the telco pole on the east alley.

Running 50 watts AM input from a WRL Globe Scout xmtr & Hallicrafters SX100 rcvr from NW Illinois. I talked as far as Imperial Valley, CA around 1957. :)

9. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

75 meter Dipole

Made out of copper-weld stuff .

A balun fed with 9913 coax .

It worked fine on 40 meters where I cut my CW teeth ( as a NOVICE ) !

We do not have a Novice ( class beginner ) license anymore , that is too bad .

Cool. :cool:

J.

:)

10. W0BTU

W0BTU Subscriber QRZ Page

Before we knew any better, a random-length end-fed wire, using the house wiring as the "ground".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.