What type of ISP do you use?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NY3V, Apr 12, 2012.

?

What Type of ISP do you use?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2012.
  1. Dial-up

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. DSL

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Cable

50 vote(s)
    54.9%
  4. Satellite

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Cellular

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. AT&T U-Verse

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Verizon FiOS

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Other Fiber

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member

1. Dial-up

2. DSL

3. Satellite

4. Cellular

5. Cable

6. AT&T U-verse

7. Verizon FiOS

8. Other Fiber

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber

Clearwire
    Connection sucks with changes in the weather/season due to trees between me and the tower.

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

The only thing I can get out here in the middle of nowhere. DSL. We just got access to DSL about five years ago. Before that it was Dial-up or Satellite. Satellite is an expensive joke.

I wish we could get cable or FiOS but it wont much matter as I am moving in 8 days.

4. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member

DSL.

Had FiOS when I was up in DC, best service I've ever had. Not just for teh interwebs, but also for TV.

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Cox, I've had Roadrunner and Cox is superior.

6. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member

For years I was on a side street to the information highway. Finally we got one ISP in town. I paid through the nose so I could hook up to the net for a limited amount of minutes a week.

It was like $45.00 for 3 hours online and my “login” time was between 2 and 3AM. I worked second shift those days so it worked out fairly well.

I had to keep track of how long I was online because if I went over my minutes they charged more.

Then we got another ISP who offered dialup for $25.00 a month. He didn't care how long you were online so long as he got his money. As time passed he cut the rate to $19.00 a month. He is still in business and offers DSL now but I got a better deal through the phone company for DSL about a year before he was setup for DSL.

Back then you could get a dedicated digital second line from the phone company for $5.00 a month. That was nice because you could stay on line with the dedicated line 25/7 and still get phone calls. For a while, before I got the dedicated digital line, I had some software that would let me use the computer like a telephone when someone would call and I was online.

I had DSL for around 5 years when the cable company made a better offer. I get cable phone and internet for $117.00 a month now. It got to where the phone company was charging $130.00 a month and of course I did not have cable in that deal. The phone company does offer satellite TV through them but it would still cost more than the deal the cable company gave me.

Of course I did have to sign a 2 year contract with the cable folks and next year my cable phone and net will cost me $140.00 a month.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

I don't think any of those are really ISPs.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

No, they are the services offered by an ISP.

9. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member

I've had (and still do have) cable TV, at first, without internet.

Then, I got Bellsouth dial-up.

Later, I got Bellsouth DSL and was happy for 2 years until it stopped working. My landline was still OK.

Bellsouth claimed they checked my phone line and it was OK.

I knew different and told them to cancel my DSL and went back to dial-up.

After that, my landline noise increased so that dial-up no longer worked. They finally fixed the noise, but by then I was fed up.

So, I was willing to pay $10 a month more to Earthlink for DSL and let them get Bellsouth to finally fix my phone lines to work on DSL again.

Later, I went to my present Cable ISP.

As soon as we get FiOS in my area, Comcast is dead meat! :D

10. N4KJF

N4KJF Ham Member

I have FITL. I hope they never try to fix it or upgrade it. Yes, slow by today's standard, but pretty smooth and in my area the service stays pretty consistent. And the price is right. I don't want them to touch it. They can go improve and upgrade somewhere else.

11. KC9SQR

KC9SQR Ham Member

Comcast cable... I was using AT&T DSL for a while, I was happy with it for the most part... The 6 megabyte dsl was solid.. After working out a couple of line issues, and convincing the techs in the customer service department that my line WAS in fact capable of running 6 meg dsl and beyond. Regardless of what the local techs/installers, and I said.. The computer said my line wasn't capable of it so the almighty computer MUST be right...

After getting all that sorted out I ran my 6 meg down 768k upload dsl for about 1 1/2 years...

I recently changed to Comcast, 30 megs down (highest I've seen so far) and 4 megs upload... For 10 bucks a month cheaper even! I haven't looked back... Still keeping the dsl modem around though.. Just in case Comcast ticks me off hahaha

My sig shows the average speeds I get.. I'm happy with it :)

Will

12. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

There are 3 different forms of U-Verse! There is the completely "copper" form where the connection is basically made over copper wiring the whole distance to the hub. Then, there is the system where the connection is carried on fiber optics to a point within, usually, about a half-mile from your location, and then is carried by copper wire to your location. Finally, there are connections, such as I have, which is "fiber to the brick". That is, there are actually fiber optic "glass" that comes directly to your location.

AT&T eliminated all copper cables in my neighborhood several years ago and replaced the telephone, "cable" television, and Internet with fiber optics. All of the copper was removed from the utility poles. There is a unit on the outside of my house that converts the telephone to "POT" (plain old telephone) copper wiring inside the house and the television and Internet are converted to "Category 5e" for distribution inside the house.

Glen, K9STH

13. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member

You might be a Red Neck if your ISP is your neighbor.

14. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

Or a thief.

15. KC9SQR

KC9SQR Ham Member

Not necessarily, if he's using wifi with permission, then he is not stealing anything... And the only real violation at that point (of having permission to access the network) is the neighbor providing the service violating TOS (Terms Of Service) agreement(s)...

As far as I know some ISP's even have TOS agreements that you won't leave your wifi wide open without a password...

Just wanted to point out, he may NOT be a thief...

Will

16. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

He may not be a "redneck" either, lol.

17. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber

I had DSL up until Verizon sold out to a fairly pointless company. I had trouble with their service and then trouble with the tech support. I moved to Time-Warner cable for everything (I had had them for just cable up to that point). Haven't had a problem since.

You know, it's difficult for a telco to boondoggle a network engineer. But to try even though they know they are trying is stupid. I mean, telling me they were running a loopback test on a two wire line is up there on the stupidity S-Meter. Sorry, nothing attached except the telephones and the NIC is a standard 110 block. Not even X-Jacks. So how do you loop it back again?

The T-W tech came out for the move and I already had a new quad shield run and ready for him. All he had to do was swap the distribution block and hand me the new cable router. He asked how I knew how to do all this. I pointed to the tower. He said "Oh." Then I told him what I did for a day job. I have never had that level of service and quality of an install. Fairlypointless was never that professional.

I take that back. Years ago when I was station at Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH (yes, that Dayton - heck of a place for a ham to get stationed) the cable guy came out to install when I moved into the rental. It was a house. That was back when the cable companies had to install traps or filters or what ever they were for premium channels. I had only ordered basic cable. The tech had to go to a head end in someone's yard. But there was a "huge dog" in the yard and he didn't want to go there. He had signal and didn't care what premium channels I had. I had at least what I ordered. For three years I had free HBO and Showtime. The statute of limitations has expired so I can tell that story now....:p

The other nice thing was EVERY house has a TV tower in the backyard. None of this NIMBY no tower crap. I had my VHF antennas on that old TV tower and a vertical in the backyard.

Dayton I think has the most hams per square mile of anywhere. I swear!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  18. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member

I have never been fortunate enough to get any of that redneck wifi. In Oregon I had 1.5 Meg DSL, then I dropped the phone service in favor of cell. Telco started jacking the naked DSL price and I went to Clearwire. It could be sluggish but some periodic dinking around would bring it back to advertised speed. Now here in the middle of nowhere there is nothing like that. Cable stops a few steps away and the local telco is a gang of crooks. There is rural co-op which offers ~ 1 Meg 802.11 off a couple towers in town and we use that. It drops out more often than we really like but it is what there is.

I don't know why, it seems many of the smaller burgs were among the earliest to adopt good DSL and cable services, but here isn't one of them.

19. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

I was an early adopter of the cable modem. I don't remember the original speed, but I think it was 3 Mb. At the time, that seemed like magic and we were happy.

Over time, the service deteriorated. Sundays were a disaster almost every week, the system just couldn't handle all the traffic when people were home. And, we had extended outages. I eventually found out that they had run a length of small diameter coax from the next street over to my house for some weird reason - the signal levels on my end were extremely marginal.

When we moved, I dumped the cable modem and went with DSL. It was 1.5 Mb DSL, but most of the time, it was actually faster than what we'd had with cable. We were happy, and locked into a $19.95 a month deal for life.

But, over time, the DSL started to get flaky. It was too slow for streaming video in any situation, and we had long outages. Every time it rained hard, the local central office would get flooded! And, my $19.95 deal stopped looking good when they kept raising the price of my required landline phone. I was paying about $49 a month for extremely limited basic service - we had to use Skype or cellphones to make long distance calls. We also had satellite TV< which had it's own problems.

So, I have now gone back to cable Internet. I pay $40 a month for 40 Mb service. My landline is via Verizon wireless for $9.95 a month on my existing cellphone contract. We watch TV over the air or via streaming video. Life is very good. My XYL, Amishwoman, has even figured out how to run the TV control for the first time in decades! I am liberated! And I'm saving over $100 a month, too. Sometimes less is more; way, way more.

20. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

Wireless DSL out here in the country what we have, the other choice dialup NOT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.