ad: w5yi

What type of ISP do you use?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NY3V, Apr 12, 2012.

?

What Type of ISP do you use?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2012.
  1. Dial-up

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. DSL

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Cable

50 vote(s)
    54.9%
  4. Satellite

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Cellular

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. AT&T U-Verse

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Verizon FiOS

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Other Fiber

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Dial-up

2. DSL

3. Satellite

4. Cellular

5. Cable

6. AT&T U-verse

7. Verizon FiOS

8. Other Fiber

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Clearwire
    Connection sucks with changes in the weather/season due to trees between me and the tower.

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing I can get out here in the middle of nowhere. DSL. We just got access to DSL about five years ago. Before that it was Dial-up or Satellite. Satellite is an expensive joke.

I wish we could get cable or FiOS but it wont much matter as I am moving in 8 days.

4. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

DSL.

Had FiOS when I was up in DC, best service I've ever had. Not just for teh interwebs, but also for TV.

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cox, I've had Roadrunner and Cox is superior.

6. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

For years I was on a side street to the information highway. Finally we got one ISP in town. I paid through the nose so I could hook up to the net for a limited amount of minutes a week.

It was like $45.00 for 3 hours online and my “login” time was between 2 and 3AM. I worked second shift those days so it worked out fairly well.

I had to keep track of how long I was online because if I went over my minutes they charged more.

Then we got another ISP who offered dialup for $25.00 a month. He didn't care how long you were online so long as he got his money. As time passed he cut the rate to $19.00 a month. He is still in business and offers DSL now but I got a better deal through the phone company for DSL about a year before he was setup for DSL.

Back then you could get a dedicated digital second line from the phone company for $5.00 a month. That was nice because you could stay on line with the dedicated line 25/7 and still get phone calls. For a while, before I got the dedicated digital line, I had some software that would let me use the computer like a telephone when someone would call and I was online.

I had DSL for around 5 years when the cable company made a better offer. I get cable phone and internet for $117.00 a month now. It got to where the phone company was charging $130.00 a month and of course I did not have cable in that deal. The phone company does offer satellite TV through them but it would still cost more than the deal the cable company gave me.

Of course I did have to sign a 2 year contract with the cable folks and next year my cable phone and net will cost me $140.00 a month.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think any of those are really ISPs.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they are the services offered by an ISP.

9. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had (and still do have) cable TV, at first, without internet.

Then, I got Bellsouth dial-up.

Later, I got Bellsouth DSL and was happy for 2 years until it stopped working. My landline was still OK.

Bellsouth claimed they checked my phone line and it was OK.

I knew different and told them to cancel my DSL and went back to dial-up.

After that, my landline noise increased so that dial-up no longer worked. They finally fixed the noise, but by then I was fed up.

So, I was willing to pay $10 a month more to Earthlink for DSL and let them get Bellsouth to finally fix my phone lines to work on DSL again.

Later, I went to my present Cable ISP.

As soon as we get FiOS in my area, Comcast is dead meat! :D

10. N4KJF

N4KJF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have FITL. I hope they never try to fix it or upgrade it. Yes, slow by today's standard, but pretty smooth and in my area the service stays pretty consistent. And the price is right. I don't want them to touch it. They can go improve and upgrade somewhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.