What To Do When The Law Breaks The Law?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

RM, It is ashame that you will not identify yourself to others and be a bit nicer to some of us as I came across some paperwork that deals exactly with what you are taking about.  How I got it is between me and the person that handed it to me, however he is in law enforcement. Give me a reason to send you a copy and I'll think about it.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k3sam @ April 10 2002)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">RM,
    It is ashame that you will not identify yourself to others... Give me a reason to send you a copy and I'll think about it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just think about this SAM:

WHY would I ever want ANYTHING from the likes of you?

It is a shame you are incapable of bringing anything useful to the table...

If I wanted[​IMG] I'd sure know where to go...
    Just find SAM jamming 40 meters with your imaginary nets...

Go send some more bad checks, but not to me!

Hit the road!

RM - for ID

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sam, RM, BACK OFF!

Everyone has been behaving very well lately, so let's not start again.

Glen, K9STH

4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Guys,

Going back to page 1 a few gentlemen spelled &quot;DILEMA&quot; don't they mean to spell it as &quot;DILEMMA&quot;[​IMG]

I've had NIT-PICKERS HARP ON me out here, so I thought I'd reply in kind!!! WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND BOYS!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] es 73,

nn6ee/JIM

5. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Ur dilemma is not unusual but it can be handled quite discretely if some tact and diplomacy is used to illustrate the point. First, no matter how well you try to cover the fact they (the police) have
    been reported, the speculation will get out! So grab the bull by the horns and be a Man.

I have had a similiar condition down here in Louisiana and heres how it was handled:

1. Gather the evidence on tape.

2. Quietly approach the local DAs and Sheriff's office with a joint meeting about this
    matter. The Lawyers in the DAs office will see the light almost immediately and
    the Sheriff's Office will DEFINATELY follow the DA's recommendation about
    the impropriety of the radios. If there exists an Internal Affairs Division
    (Louisiana State Police provide that here in LA for those offices which lack an IA Office)
    they might be called.
    3. Let the police Dept handle their own people, they will usually see the light on
    this one and get the radios out of the car.
    4. Meanwhile, don't make a big stink over freeband stuff in the public,
    the name of the DA if anything is mentioned to you about this matter
    will cool the LEO down since he don't want to be in the DAs office
    trying to explain the matter.
    5. Since it isn't in the Public, the officers will be very quiet about this since
    they don't need any remarks on their records.
    6. If asked about Amateur Radio feel free to play it up.

I really don't think you have anything to fear if you discuss it upfront
    with the Local Jurisdiction's Lawyers since almost all jurisdictions want to
    avoid anything which may spell trouble. Loose Cannons are rare these days
    and most don't know anything about radio, so your expertise could help
    them avoid further problems. (Govt Attornies simply love to stay out of the
    limelight with negative publicity.)

6. KD7KOY

KD7KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

RM..personally I'd leave it alone. If the FCC won't enforce CB and gave it to the Police. And the police are breaking the law by freebanding. You might find yourself alone. Like one post said, propagation is telling the world what they are talking about. Sooner or later they will hang themselves. Chalk it up to a fact of life today.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (tkinney @ April 13 2002,02:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, by all means turn them in....it should also help you when you need cooperation with the police to run ARES/RACES. I mean there is nothing like a good busybody radio cop to make the police's job easier. I'm sure the people that may not get good ARES/RACES services in a local time of need will be glad you stuck your nose in.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Really?

I have been called many things on here but a busybody radio cop is not one I have heard yet.

So in other words, you should gauge right &amp; wrong based on effect on ARES/RACES &amp; NOT the law?

Somehow &quot;Do as I say but not as I do...&quot; sets a double standard to which I will not live by... Only the shallowest of men would live by such a rule. This kind of &quot;moral relativism&quot; puts our society in great peril.

A rather specious argument at best &amp; just plain wrong!

RM

8. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] tkinney..............ARES etc doesn't depend on cooperation from the police, but rather the other way arround. If the police could handle the whole communication thing in an emergency, then hams would have no place in the picture. They ask us to volunteer to help, we don't go begging them for the privelege of storm spotting, communications coordenation etc. So stand up and bust the freebanding louts, RM. It doesn't matter what they do for a living. Besides, if the city/county had to poney up the 10 large per day fine, they won't be in any official position to seek revenge!

Give em heck,RM! ( Damn, I hate being put in a position of agreement with you! )

73 de Craig.........KCØGOA [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.