What To Do When The Law Breaks The Law?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5ATX @ April 08 2002,10:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">RM:

You're right, they are breaking the law, and I hate cops who act like they're above the law.  That story from Texas that Glen told is a good one and I like it.  Serves them right....

...I would wonder though why you're so gung-ho to tell on them.  Yes, they're lawbreakers, but it sounds like maybe you have an axe to grind.  If you're sure it's worth the trouble to you, go for it.  You seem convinced there WILL be repercussions, so . . . tread as you see fit.  But if it was me, I'd think twice, knowing they're not in the ham band, and most likely not bothering anyone at all (every legal user of frequencies from 26-28MHz gave up long ago.)  But, I still won't tell you not to report them, because the fact is, you're right and they're not...

Good luck RM

Chris[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I can assure you that I have no ax to grind with them. I know the individuals involved &amp; know where all involved reside. They started to &quot;experiment with the extra channels&quot; during this past hunting season.

It is the principle that motivated me only! No dull ax, no BS! The law is the law to me, but not to the point of harassment.

I see this akin to the vice squad being on the &quot;take&quot; &amp; taking liberty with &quot;looking the other way&quot;. If they don't know the law, how can they even try to enforce it? That is my point. I am sure they do not know that CB enforcement is a local issue now, but don't fear the FCC looking  in a police car for &quot;non-conforming&quot; radio equipment. That is my point as well. Who do you complain to when locals are &quot;unqualified&quot; due to their own behavior? Should you just let it go?

I posed the question mainly to illustrate that the perceived enforcement threat is NIL, even with the law enforcement community. They ought to know better but they obviously don't. I have made my mind up but let the discussion continue.

I find the whole situation most interesting to say the least. Without revealing specific details, I have heard coordinating (common occurance) of what some would refer to &quot;profiling&quot; via these out of band channels. That just adds to the mix of questionable conduct on the part of those sworn to uphold the law, IN ALL ITS' FORMS.

I find the &quot;special feature&quot; radio is just another example, if used in conjunction of ANY official conduct or duties. If it were their personal time, I could care less about what frequency they are on! I am talking about on duty, in an official capacity, permanently installed in county owned vehicles. I feel it is a violation of the public trust!

RM
    You can run but you can't hide from my receiver...

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For NCUNIT33:

Where do you come up with the &quot;idea&quot; that the FCC only has jurisdiction for amateur and CB radio? The FCC indeed does have jurisdiction over all radio communications within the United States and territories. On matters that involve the Federal Government communications, they work with other federal agencies. But, they definitely do have authority to levy fines, institute proceedings for arrest, forfiture of equipment, etc.

The FCC has initiated fines, equipment seizure, and even imprisonment of people who are willfully violating the regulations concerning radio operation, and those persons mentioned in the original post are apparently violating federal regulations.

Glen, K9STH

3. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the best thing to do would be to send them an email titled &quot;here is my call sign &quot;.

Make sure to attach a jpeg of a crazy looking person holding a knife.

73 de Tony K8EEI

4. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5ATX @ April 08 2002,10:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">RM:

Speaking of funny rigs/freqs/actions, I just saw an item on eBay today.  It's a &quot;Kenwood Mobile Radio FD/EMS *special feature*  Item # 1344897463&quot; described as a TM-261a with &quot;special features.&quot;  You REALLY need to go look at it.  Tell me what you think.  Chris[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You better go look at it quick because I can't believe that eBay still has this auction up. Anyone want to lay odds on if it lasts the full 6 days?[​IMG]??

I hope this guy gets away with it though. Just to thumb his nose at eBay and the obvious violations of the terms of service above and beyond the radio ramifications. I don't understand why he would list for 6 days though. He will never away with this auction this long the way he has it listed.

Jim - KB9YFI

5. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

By the way, that radio sold at the &quot;buy it now&quot; price of $329.99 AND $25 for the Kenwood programming software via email. Talk about blatant. Oh well, capitalism at its worst!

6. N8EMR

N8EMR Ham Member QRZ Page

A letter to the police cheif with copies to mayor,city council and local media
    might help solve the problem.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Maybe if you and some of your buddies get seen around town with some foxhunting equipment and taking notes they will get curiuos and ask what you are doing.... then say that you have noted some illegal transmissions and are gathering evidince for the FCC.

they may shut up real quick!

8. KG4RYT

KG4RYT Ham Member QRZ Page

TO: K9STH
    GLEN WHAT  ENFORCEMENT HAS THE FCC DONE LATELY?
    THE ONLY THING I SEE THE FCC DOING IS CRACKING DOWN ON HAM RADIO VIOLATIONS WITH CB AND OTHER BANDS RUNNING WILD.
    JUST LISTEN TO THE MARINE BAND AND GMSR BAND FOR EXAMPLE MUCH LESS THE CB BAND. I FEEL BECAUSE THEY HAVE WASHED THERE HANDS ON THE CB BAND SO TO SPEAK, THEY WILL PROBABLY DO LITTLE OR NOTHING. ALSO THE FCC HAS TURNED OVER ENFORCEMENT OF VIOLATIONS OF CB RADIO TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT, OUR I BELIEVE  THATS WHAT I'VE  HEARD.
    [​IMG]

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They have been enforcing fines, etc., on services other than amateur and CB radio (including unlicensed operations). You just don't hear about that in the &quot;general press&quot;. Jim Haynie, the President of the ARRL made reference to the high fines given very recently in the Dallas / Fort Worth area for &quot;freebanding&quot; operation. I don't remember which of the two threads that Jim was one where he mentioned this, but if you read either the thread about the ARRL in Washington or the one on a &quot;new&quot; organization, you will find the information thereon.

Glen, K9STH

10. WR6S

WR6S Ham Member QRZ Page

RM,,hey bud,i would leave it alone. NOT WORTH it. especially if they decide you hasseled them and they want a little payback. i normally dont fight a war i dont think i can win,or could hurt me or my family. the guys are probably not all that radio savy,and if they are using some of the language that was used during the king riots or others,such as :&quot;gorrilas in the mist&quot;[[[geeezzz es heck...] then they wil get whats coming. one tact might be to write an anonomous letter to the chief,stating that an auxiliary freq for the guys to do some extra coordination might be nice to have authorized for the guys,especially if they want to buy their own equipment. addtioanlly,can you imagine the look on their faces when an explanatin of daytime hf propagation is given,and that some of their &quot;possible&quot; stereotyping, &quot;profiling&quot;,and i imagine some of the vernacular used by them is possibly being picked up 10,000 miles away. gorrillas in the mist on a MDT is one thing, PROFILING OR RACIAL SLURS [POSSIBLY] BEING HEARD HALF WAY AROUND THE GLOBE AINT GONNA BE TOO FUNNY,,especailly to the chief. a letter to him with a tape and a propagation explanaton will probably do the trick. then watch the chiefs jaw hit the ground,and some rear ends being chewed completely off to the point of 2 dimentionality hahahha. i have always said that you can probably train amonkey to be a cop. the only difference between a monkey cop and a human cop,is that humans get paid in money,monkeys will work for food. a cage in prison or a cage at work are about the same thing to a monkey. i would also leave it alone because if some of the aclu types,who as i have always said,need ot be a victim once in a while and they would change their tune[humm,aclu,,arrl,fcc,same boat huihi] ever got a hol dof some of the conversations,that whole department would owe the gross national product of say,england hihi hha. i hate to use ignorance as an excuse,but the poor slobs probably dont realize what they are doing. and as far as the fcc guy that got pulled over and tried to ge tout of it by THREATENING them,he is in the same boat and should lose his job for trying to extort a get out of jail free card &quot;or else&quot;. good for the judge. if i get a speeding ticket,be it in a speed trap or not,i take my lumps,. i know how to read my speedometer.[and unfortunately i am in a pretty good speed trap area. there are so many regular speeders that pass people,drive like idiots and just general jerks,thta i really dont see the need for speed traps,except for lazy cops,or cops that are forced to make quotas,which do happen,weather they admit oit or not. i hope i dont fire upa bunch of cops over this post but come on,its true. RONNY,where are you [​IMG] hahaha [​IMG] ,patdm14[watch ,now il have a chp waiting at the end of my street hahahahaahahha,p [RM,GIVE ME THE FREQ IF YOU LIKE,I OWULD GET A KICK OUT OF HEARING THEM HAHAHAHAH,WAIT,FORGET THAT,DONT WANT THE DAM ACLU LISTENING HE HE HE ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.