What To Do When The Law Breaks The Law?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am faced with a serious dilemma. I have discovered through extensive monitoring that our local deputies are actively using modified CB's, out-of-band, for a "chat around". I have verified this is a widespread condition in my local department with at least 6 cars equipped with these radios. They are not going up into the 10M band, rather they go "down" to 26.XX MHz.

A couple of them are actively promoting others getting the radios too. When one officer begged them to come back in the standard 40 channels because he didn't have the extra channels, he was told on the department simplex channel to "get with the program, we could fix you right up".

My dilemma comes from knowing if I turn it into the FCC, I could face retaliation as this is a local yokel's paradise & the "Good Old Boy Network" is very alive & well here! The law is the law, right? This proves the FCC is failing to make people even think they face consequences for illegal behavior, not even the law themselves!

What would you do when faced with the law breaking the law? Sit back & smile knowing you will always be "in the know" or just turn them into the FCC & live in fear of "payback"? They would certainly know who turned them in, by process of elimination, I am sure.

So what do you suggest?

RM
    In the woods of Mayberry USA

2. W9JI

W9JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just my opinion i would do 1 of 2 things contact FCC and not give your name or ignore it because if they find out who made the complaint the may "get back at you" thats just me

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A few years back, a small town in Texas happened to install new radios in the police cars, on a new frequency, and didn't happen to bother with getting their license modified. On day, the local FCC engineer-in-charge just happened to exit off the freeway to get lunch in that particular town and was immediately pulled over in a "speed trap". He identified himself and asked to see the license for the radio equipment. At first the officer refused, then finally got the police chief from lunch to get the licenses. When the licenses did not show the frequencies in use, the FCC engineer told the police chief that he was going to "contest" the speeding ticket, and, if he was found guilty, the police department would have to "answer" for the illegal operation of the radios. And, by the way, the person that they would initially have to "answer to" was him!

A week later the FCC engineer appeared before the municipal judge, was "awarded" a fine for speeding. The FCC engineer then handed the police chief a "show cause" notice. The end result was that the police department was fined $1.5 million ($10,000 per day per transmitter). The city's radio service's insurance "picked up" half of the fine and the city had to pay the rest. All because the town was running a "speed trap" and happened to get the "wrong" person!

You do not have to identify yourself to the FCC to make a complaint. If you happen to make some tape recordings that will help, but they are not absolutely necessary. Just send notices to the FCC in Washington and also to the local field office, but don't sign the letters. Also, you could even mail the letters from another location to avoid even having the postmark show your location.

Glen, K9STH

4. KC2JCA

KC2JCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see the dilema.
    "They might make my life miserable!"

Wouldn't that also make them guilty of several other violations of law?? Last I checked we weren't living a Mad Max Society where it is survival of the fittest.

There are two categories of citizens in the US, law abiding and criminal. I would never be ashamed of belonging to the first and pruning down the second.

73, Jim - kc2jca

5. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

RM, I would write a fairly detailed letter about what you know for a fact and then sign it. "Name withheld due to fear of retribution". This implies a valid reason and not just a crank who sent an anonymous letter.
    BTW I don't see why everyone complains about not knowing your call sign. It wasn't hard to find at all with a little common sense. But as you seemed to hint someone with a little smarts might figure out that you turned them in. Living in small town america myself I say, think about it very carefully, then stand firm whichever way you decide.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] Yo, RM...........

Seems ta me ya gottem' where they live! Record the "good ol' boys" and sell the tapes to their wive's private investagators! [​IMG]

Jus tryn' ta help! [​IMG]

73 de Craig.............KCØGOA [​IMG]

7. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC knows about it now RM

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, I have a similar situation around here, except they are using police frequencies, but not FCC type accepted radios for that service.....

The local police, mostly highwy patrol and DMV, are buying 2 meter mobile rigs and doing band expansions. They do this because the highwy patrol is in the 40mhz area and all other law enforcement in the area is in the 150mhz area. They use it to communicate with dispatch and cars from other agencies.

So far I have not seen any use outside the approved frequencies, but the possibility is there. It also brings up other questions since the individuals doing it are not working for the agency that is licensed for the frequency, and it increases the number of transmitters being used on a specific frequency, as well as the type acceptence issue.

Right now they aren't hurting anything, but I wonder how long till they start using simplex freqs between 144-148.. till then I am not gonna worry about it.

73's
    KF4PEP

9. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

RM:

You're right, they are breaking the law, and I hate cops who act like they're above the law. That story from Texas that Glen told is a good one and I like it. Serves them right.

I would wonder though why you're so gung-ho to tell on them. Yes, they're lawbreakers, but it sounds like maybe you have an axe to grind. If you're sure it's worth the trouble to you, go for it. You seem convinced there WILL be repercussions, so . . . tread as you see fit. But if it was me, I'd think twice, knowing they're not in the ham band, and most likely not bothering anyone at all (every legal user of frequencies from 26-28MHz gave up long ago.) But, I still won't tell you not to report them, because the fact is, you're right and they're not.

Speaking of funny rigs/freqs/actions, I just saw an item on eBay today. It's a "Kenwood Mobile Radio FD/EMS *special feature* Item # 1344897463" described as a TM-261a with "special features." You REALLY need to go look at it. Tell me what you think. I know what I think. In fact I don't think, I KNOW what it is. But you want a chuckle? Go look, it's worth the time.

Good luck RM

Chris

10. KG4RYT

KG4RYT Ham Member QRZ Page

IT WILL BE HARD TO GET ANY ACTION ON THIS SINCE THE FCC HAS TURN OVER THE REGULATION ENFORCEMENT OF THE NON HAM  CB BANDS TO THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.