What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KQ4MM, Dec 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5DH

    K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

    In the telegraph world, they were known as a "polechanger". Here are pics of my Western Union polechanger key, which was made by Bunnell. Yeah, it's dirty; I haven't gotten around to restoring it yet.


    K1ZJH likes this.
  2. WA3LKN

    WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

    That's actually a fairly oddball polechanger. Most of them are as shown in the photo (below) which includes the common Spies and the less common Bunnell. I think Western Electric also made them. They were used with a wheatstone bridge to try to find the fault in a downed telegraph line.

    The stapler next to the keys was a cheap Japanese novelty item made late 1960's DSCF0149.JPG
    K2CAJ likes this.
  3. K3ATE

    K3ATE Subscriber QRZ Page

  4. WA3LKN

    WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

    These are 20th century devices. See photo from a Bunnell 1928 catalog. Polechanger cat. 1928.jpeg
  5. KQ4MM

    KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Thanks all for the photos, comments and detailed information... I agree this must be a pole changer... MESCO must not have made very many of these as I can't seem to find any details or photos of MESCO pol changers. Anyway I'll just add it to the collection for now.
  6. K2CAJ

    K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    So this is why I can't find my stapler. They're evolving camouflage!
  7. K3ATE

    K3ATE Subscriber QRZ Page

    Thanks for the info.

Share This Page