What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with you, Brady. And I'm not convinced that anybody really can predict HF prop.

KD8ZM likes this.
  2. KM4DYX

Great CW QRP fun today. N4EX was POTA about 55 miles north of me. The FoF2 was sitting right on 5 MHZ and he came up on 60 Meters. My end-fed isn't a great NVIS antenna on 60 (the wire is cut for 80) so I was having to switch back and forth from my end-fed to my "Loop on Ground" receive-only antenna in order to copy him and then transmit. Plus, the loop is so quiet that I had to keep adjusting the volume on the 817. AND, I recently started using a straight key, so still not super comfortable on the air with it. Did I say "Great Fun"? It was.

Al

KC7JNJ likes this.
  3. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I helped another ham put his EME array backup up after taking it down for the hurricane and afterwards got to use his 40 meter dipole with a used QRP radio I recently bought.

I made contact using SSB with an operator in TN today using my FlexRadio Flex-1500. Learning how to navigate the software on my notebook has been a little bit of a learning curve but I was glad to confirm proper function today with a contact. I'm looking forward to using it for QRP operations in the future as well as with some transverters while operating as a VHF rover. It's been a while since I last attempted HF contacts with only 5 watts.

4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last night I worked only two stations. (SSB) Indianapolis Motor Speedway Amateur Radio Club. Sam was at the mic, she had a good signal. Then a Route 66 on the air. Both stations not to far from each other.

@KM4DYX how far was you endfed off the ground for NIVS?

5. KM4DYX

My MyAntennas 80-10 end fed is up 40 ft. Since the wire is quite a bit longer than a half-wave on 60 Meters I think the pattern is distorted a bit. And its a bit noisy, anyway. It's quite deaf on 60, especially for the close stations. To be fair the antenna isn't even supposed to be used on 60. The SWR is around 5-1. I run it through a tuner for 60, but not for any other band. I've managed a few QSOs with it on 60, but I always use my receive loop.

I'm sure a dipole at the same height would do the trick. The sweet spot for maximum gain to zenith is between .15 and .20 wavelengths, ground dependent.

6. KM4DYX

Here is a plot from EZNEC that depicts the distorted pattern I was talking about:

upload_2019-9-8_18-19-13.png

7. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, boy. I got my hands on a KX2 and I bought the AX1 antenna as a way to go portable quickly. This is so...much...fun. It'll be even more fun when I get proficient at Morse code. :)

Has anyone out there done SOTA with the AX1 antenna?

8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on the new kit! The KX2 are sure nice....

WW2PT and AJ6KZ like this.
  9. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was trying to work EA9/DL5SE on 40m last night, which would have been a new one for my QRP DXCC chase. But alas, 5w to a 24’ end-fed wire wasn’t quite enough.

10. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried today on the ingenious 60m band 2W QRP in CW...got a response from a station in 450 km with 56N!
    Antenna is my Delta Loop horizontal 10m above ground.

A little bit earlier, got a station from UK. He was working less than 2w on 80m. Could copy him with QSB. sometimes nearly S1 sometimes S5. Great QRP day today :)

73 Andre / DL4QB

N8AFT likes this.