What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

SolarVoltaicCoppertoneQuotient :p

2. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I wasn't QRP, but the other guy was.

Worked a W2 station from here in 9 land tonight on 30M. He was running a MFJ at 1 W. We had a rag chew last a half hour. I had a blast digging him out and chasing him around as his radio drifted about 2 kHz during the QSO.

N8AFT and WN1MB like this.
  3. N8AFT

We're gonna count it !
    Those 1w MFJ Cubs are a blast to use.
    Most need to be powered up for an hour like some other QRP rigs do to get them stable.

4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First straight key QSO in the log. Thanks WK2S!

5. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm camping and took my ft-818 and a mfj 1899 antenna along. Called for a while on 40 and 20 meters. No qso in the log but heard some good signals. It's always nice to operate put in the sun.

6. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're getting spotted on RBN; keep trying.

7. AA8NN

I'm going to try again tomorrow. I'm going to find a place far away from the campers. It seems kind of noisy on recieve for being on battery power.

N8AFT likes this.
  8. N8AFT

I hope you are using a fair counterpoise wire or few for that little antenna to pry against....
    26' each radial for 40m, about 13' for 20m, 18' for 30 and so on per the MFJ Instruction page.
    May need some headphones that fully cover and isolate the ol ears too.
    Calling CQ with QRP is a little like tryin to bat a baseball using a golf club...
    I have found, as others will repeat, it is easier to snag a QSO with vy low power by tail end calling a station that has just signed clear, give that a try. It works for me running my 2w Cub...
    Looking FWD to a QSO with you soon OM...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    AA8NN likes this.
  9. AA8NN

All I have is a tape measure for a counterpoise. It worked pretty good the last time I used it, but the bands were in better shape. Hey there's always tomorrow. I have a cub too. It's like the tail wagging the dog when I first get it going. Then the VFO settles down after a while. Great fun!

10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP conditions actually quite good today on 40m, fairly easy to get a response. I really don't get the whole "geomagnetic storm warning" business, as more often than not it seems to have little correlation with how easily contacts can be made.??? Brady